Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: random playback with artist and song repeat protection? (Read 3789 times) previous topic - next topic

random playback with artist and song repeat protection?

I'm searching for a plugin with random playback and with configurable artist and song repeat protection. That's something beyond foobar2000 shuffle capabilities.

Re: random playback with artist and song repeat protection?

Reply #1
You want shuffle, which has repeat protection, not random, which doesn't.

Reply #2
Shuffle tracks is the most close option. But it tends to play same artist more than once in 1 hour. My collection is currently 1373 songs and no artist has more than 32 songs. And about song protection, my collection has several instances of "Hey Joe" and "Season of the Witch". How could shuffle tracks understand that they are basically same song, only with different performer?

Reply #3
How could shuffle tracks understand that they are basically same song, only with different performer?

is your question, "why doesn't my audio player have artificial intelligence?"  ::)

You can use Shuffle.

You can use playback statistics and filter only songs that have never been played (%play_count% MISSING):
https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_playcount

You can use random pools and control how often an album or artist is played:
https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_random_pools

Reply #4
Basically I was talking about 'configurability' of artist and song repeat protection. Maybe some external file where I can define that I consider Frank Zappa and "Mothers of Invention" the same artist. Or that I consider "Season of the Witch" by Donovan and by Vanilla Fudge the same song. Or that shuffle should not repeat artist or album or song title in 60 or 120 or 180 or some other amount of minutes. Where I can define that "The Trip" by Kim Fowley and "Let's Take a Trip" by Godrey & Friends are the same song. That's not AI I guess... And the radio stations are using some similar rules. Let's call it Shuffle (radio)?
I have heard about the Random Pools plugin. If this can be done with Random Pools, I should give it a try.

Reply #5
The developer of foo_random_pools said it can't be done with his plugin... Sad. All radio stations got this kind of repeat protection. It's probably not very hard to implement.

Reply #6
You realize there are actually human beings at the majority of stations selecting and playing the music? Robot stations have FAR more than 1400 songs, so one doesn't hear repeat.

For the amount of time spent on automating a small # of songs, you could have already organized them into a playlist manually, or spent the time finding new music.

Reply #7
Actually, I guess the software  major radio stations are using got repeat protection, so why not foobar2000? can't run radio station without it... it would be lame...

Reply #8
to mjm716

you're some fanboy? you're happy if things not working? what's your problem actually?

Reply #9
There is no repeat mode that is designed purely to make sure there are whole days of nonstop music between replaying any given artist. Perhaps you could be the first to craft such a random playlist generator?

Reply #10
Foo Random Pools by StrigUI configuration - random playback with artist and song repeat protection.

You just need download F2K random pools component and configuration file (attached below)

1. Unzip the archive to: foo_random_pools.dll to components folder and foo_random_pools.cfg to configuration folder.
2. Create the playlist and name it Auto DJ and add you library some folder
3.Set playback order to default.
4. Go to main window: File - Random pools - Auto DJ (with rating or without rating).
5. Random pools with this configuration picks random track from your library and stopped on last track.

Reply #11
Did you read the entire thread? Foo_random_pools has been mentioned before and has been said to not work according to OP's wishes.

Reply #12
You just need download F2K random pools component and configuration file (attached below)
^ Also not a great idea to include a component (someone elses hard work) in an attachment this way when there are perfectly valid working links - should always get software from the authentic source. (You could have just posted the config file. ;) )

Reply #13
Did you read the entire thread? Foo_random_pools has been mentioned before and has been said to not work according to OP's wishes.
I know this. They suggest him random pools plugin.
Did you ever try StigUi config?
According StigUI config there is no repeat of tracks were played.

Reply #14
^ Also not a great idea to include a component (someone elses hard work) in an attachment this way when there are perfectly valid working links - should always get software from the authentic source. (You could have just posted the config file. ;) )
I just attached both files for newbie and lazy people.
I give a big thanks to author of random pools component.
And big thanks to StriGUI for configuration file.
Thats all.

Reply #15
Foo Random Pools by StrigUI configuration - random playback with artist and song repeat protection.

1. Unzip the archive to: foo_random_pools.dll to components folder and foo_random_pools.cfg to configuration folder.
2. Create the playlist and name it Auto DJ and add you library some folder
3.Set playback order to default.
4. Go to main window: File - Random pools - Auto DJ (with rating or without rating).
5. Random pools with this configuration picks random track from your library and stopped on last track.

Can I still download the attachment somehow?