Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: DSD / DFF in wavpack using Ubuntu (Read 76373 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: DSD / DFF in wavpack using Ubuntu

Reply #25
I use Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, I installed mpd and all the possible clients, I can not load the files to let them read, my music files are all on Nas, however I use Foobar on Windows to listen to my music and wv / dsd read them without problems, in the PC that I use routinely instead I have Ubuntu, fortunately I managed to restart Foobar and even if it is limited to Ubuntu now I can read the wv / dsd files even from Ubuntu ...... Too bad they are not supported by VLC , BeadBeef and Audacious which are my favorite players on Ubuntu ..... I apologize for my english too ....
Thank you

Reply #26
Lack of support from VLC/DeaDBeeF/Audacious would be due to using an outdated version of the WavPack library. And don't expect a newer version to be included with 18.04, either, since it's an LTS release, so it will feature freeze for the next two years. Unless maybe you install an updated WavPack from a PPA, and then you're on your own, and it will still only decode to 24 bit PCM instead of DSD.

Reply #27
The wavpack I have in my Ubuntu 18.04 LTS is version 5.1.0 which is the last version ......

Reply #28
You seem to have a configuration problem in MPD.
There does not seem to be a compatibility problem with wavpack-DSD (yet).
If you can not access your music library, there is probably something wrong with your 'mpd.conf' (mounts the file system, client-server access, permissions, etc.). In the worst case it can be an MPD bug when accessing the remote system.
I'm not a Linux expert... it would not be a good idea to do this query (MPD can not access NAS) in Ubuntuforums or Linuxquestions?

Reply #29
I have DFF files compressed in DST, as the dff does not allow me to use the tags I tried to compress them in wavpack but tells me that the file is already compressed and then stops, I wanted to know if there is a way to put these dff in a wv container so that I can tag them.
Thank you

Reply #30
You should decode DST to DFF first. You need DST decoder - http://cl.ly/0V2O062f3q1m Archive contains coder and decoder for Windows.
Decoder's file is  RefDstDecoder.exe in folder C043465e_Electronic_inserts\audio\lossless\mpeg4dst\RefDecoder\export\

Reply #31
How do I use the program? I clicked on RefDstDecoder.exe but it does not open, I see a window but it closes immediately ......

Reply #32
This is command line tool... Like wavpack.exe
Code: [Select]
RefDstDecoder.exe -i YourCompressedInputFile.dff -o DecompressedFile.dff
And be patient. It is VERY slow.

Reply #33
Excuse me but I can not understand yet how to do it, I put all the dff files in the same folder where there is RefDstDecoder.exe but as I click the window opens for a split second and closes, how should I do? a thing that I've never done and if you please explain step by step, by chance I could do it with Ubuntu using the terminal?
Thank you

Reply #34
Put RefDstDecoder.exe and attached bat file into folder with compressed dff files, run bat file, wait.

Reply #35
Thank you so much, now it seems that it works but it seems very slow, I think I will give up and I will transform these dff in pcm, there is not even a bar or numbers that make you realize where the encoding passes, there is only to wait. .....
Thanks again for your availability

Reply #36
Um. Of course it's slow. And converting them to PCM will not speed it up. You can, however, parallelize it so it's using one conversion per CPU core. The only reason foo_input_sacd is reasonably fast is because it uses multiple cores to execute the DST decompression, so a single file plays back fast enough, but multiple files won't play any faster.

Reply #37
In the end I converted them (it took a long time) and then I recompressed them in wavpack via terminal with Ubuntu and now everything is ok, dsd with tags .......

Reply #38
I have DFF files compressed in DST, as the dff does not allow me to use the tags I tried to compress them in wavpack but tells me that the file is already compressed and then stops, I wanted to know if there is a way to put these dff in a wv container so that I can tag them.
Thank you

Although you have already solved the problem you can also unzip dst to dff natively in Linux with  dstcnv (https://github.com/ntaka777/dstcnv). Also on the command line, just as slow, but in this case it reports the progress and does not need Wine on Linux

Reply #39
I use Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, I installed mpd and all the possible clients, I can not load the files to let them read, my music files are all on Nas, however I use Foobar on Windows to listen to my music and wv / dsd read them without problems, in the PC that I use routinely instead I have Ubuntu, fortunately I managed to restart Foobar and even if it is limited to Ubuntu now I can read the wv / dsd files even from Ubuntu ...... Too bad they are not supported by VLC , BeadBeef and Audacious which are my favorite players on Ubuntu ..... I apologize for my english too ....
Thank you

The latest version of DeaDBeef works with wavpack-dsd!
Tested in Debian 10 (it was updated a few weeks ago) and the binaries already exist in the DeaDBeef page
http://deadbeef.sourceforge.net/download.html

Reply #40
Remenor, I had no idea DeadBeeF was out with a new version so thank you for letting me know!

Reply #41
Remenor, thanks for posting about this! I have updated by site with the new information...it's great to see more apps supporting the DSD mode.

One of my pending projects is to port the DSD code into FFmpeg, which should help even more.

Reply #42
Hi Bryant, I take this post again to ask you some things ..... When I convert my dsf to Ubuntu, I can use the -he -hmv option where the checksum is done, is that something you need Because I saw that it takes a lot more time with the -hmv option, among other things I noticed that in the foobar info the checksum of the flac files is displayed while this is not ....
Thank you

Reply #43
That command (-hmv) takes a long time because it's high mode (-h) and verify mode (-v) which means that the output file is decoded from scratch to make sure it's correct, so that takes almost twice as long. I think it's a good idea, and I always do the verify step, but you could skip it. Of course, the "high" mode make it much slower too, but the compression in the regular mode is not as good.

The -m (to store the MD5) adds very little time, and in fact adds no time when combined with the -v option because I use MD5 to do the verify and so have to calculate it anyway (storing it takes no time).

I did check and Foobar2000 does not display the MD5 information for WavPack DSD files, but it does show it for PCM files. That's probably just an oversight because the API works the same for both. Or maybe Foobar2000 will only display the MD5 sums for files that it can verify, and it can't verify DSD files because they get converted to PCM.

Reply #44
Thanks for the reply ..... exactly, Foobar displays MD5 only on wv / pcm not on dsd ...... Could I use only -hm to save time and have the checksum?

Reply #45
I also made many files only with the -h option, so without the checksum, could I have problems? I hope not .....

Reply #46
Yes, you can use -hm to save time by skipping the verify. You can always verify later with wvunpack -v option.

There's no problem not adding the MD5 sum. The files can be verified without it, although in that case we just use the individual block checksums. If the MD5s are present we use that too at the end, so it's sort of a redundant check.

A lot of people use the MD5 as a unique identifier rather than error detection, but you absolutely don't need it.

Reply #47
I apologize for another question ..... I have noticed that using the --import-id3 command does not import all the tags, it would not be a problem because then I reissued everything with Kid3 https://kid3.sourceforge.io / but Foobar also reads the tags of the old dsf file, for example if in the dsf tag there was "editor" I delete it via Kid3 Foobar that tag keeps reading it even though I removed it ....... is it possible to "clean up" the .wv file from all the tags via a terminal command so I can check if Foobar still sees tags?
Thank you

Reply #48
but Foobar also reads the tags of the old dsf file, for example if in the dsf tag there was "editor" I delete it via Kid3 Foobar that tag keeps reading it even though I removed it
Have you tried to reload tags in foobar? Right click->Tagging->Reload tags from files(s)
Also, have you foo_input_sacd installed? There was reported problems with tags of wavpackdsd if foo_input_sacd is installed.
https://sourceforge.net/p/sacddecoder/bugs/108/
https://sourceforge.net/p/sacddecoder/bugs/109/

Reply #49
foo_input_sacd I have to keep it installed otherwise Foobar does not read the dsd files, whether they are wv or dsf / dff
You are aware of that problem but I don't think it was totally solved ...... right clicking on the file to update tagging is a problem for me as I totally control Foobar through an app for Android and I don't use monitors ..... in the app that function is not there. Anyway it is a problem that I have only with wv / dsd files ...
Thank you