Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Lossless Extensions for Opus (Backwards Compatible) (Read 69402 times) previous topic - next topic

Lossless Extensions for Opus (Backwards Compatible)

Reply #100
Plays fine with LAV Filters, MPC-BE's internal filters and DC-Bass Source Mod.
But, bitrate 2628kbps?!
"Maverick Tools", something of your creation?

Reply #101
Plays fine with LAV Filters, MPC-BE's internal filters and DC-Bass Source Mod.
But, bitrate 2628kbps?!

Good.  And it's a stress test to see how well players honor section 3.2.5 of the RFC.

"Maverick Tools", something of your creation?

Yes.  maverick-tools is a the front-end that also acts as a sandbox for testing higher-level principles.

https://github.com/wswartzendruber/maverick-tools

libmaverick is going to be the backend.  It will initially wrap libopus.  There is already work here, but it has to be redone.

https://github.com/wswartzendruber/libmaverick

Reply #102
As for scalable to lossless, does anyone have a single example of where a significant number of people actually use this?

Go to your local retail store and find the Blu-rays.  Most of those will have the primary audio track in DTS-HD.
You are right, a very good example - thank you.

I think the mandatory status and extremely high bitrate of the lossy DTS core make this quite a different proposition from Opus.

Cheers,
David.

Reply #103
You are right, a very good example - thank you.

You are most welcome.

I think the mandatory status and extremely high bitrate of the lossy DTS core make this quite a different proposition from Opus.

I'm not sure what you mean by "mandatory status."  As far as the Opus bitrate goes, I can take that quite high.

It's not so much what Opus was intended to do.  I don't care about that.  It's about what Opus can do.

Reply #104
Apparently editing posts has some kind of expiration.

Anyway, here's a sample file with random garbage for padding.  Each packet has a different amount.  I yanked the source from 2L's free-to-download demo page.

http://www.wswartzendruber.name/uploads/op...g-test-001.opus

I'm interested in finding out about different people's playing experiences with it.

Firefox Nightly is saying "Video can not be played because the file is corrupt."...
Video?

Reply #105
Firefox Nightly is saying "Video can not be played because the file is corrupt."...
Video?

I believe this is happening because I don't fundamentally understand how granule postitioning works.  This is something I'm working on.  I'm guessing the other players just don't care.  opusinfo complains about it as well.

Reply #106
Chrome with VLC plugin just plays it; Foobar plays it, but when checking integrity, Warning: Nonsense Ogg granulepos value, file is not properly seekable, Warning: Reported length is inaccurate : 3:48.360000 vs 3:48.380000 decoded. But the file plays. Seeking works, though. I don't know how precise, it seems pretty precise.
Error 404; signature server not available.