Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: If full buffering has enough RAM, is FLAC uncompressed to/from buffer? (Read 3321 times) previous topic - next topic

If full buffering has enough RAM, is FLAC uncompressed to/from buffer?

Hello to all,

This is my first post and I need some help - thanks in advance.

If the Advanced -> Playback -> Full File buffering up to setting provides enough memory for the whole song will a FLAC file be uncompressed into the buffer or from the buffer?

From the differences in the Private Bytes as seen in Sysinternals' Process Explorer, it appears that it doesn't.

Regards

Reply #1
If you really need full file buffering, try foo_ramdisk (Related discussion).
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #3
will a FLAC file be uncompressed into the buffer or from the buffer?

Good question; the former would require a lot more RAM than the latter. I assume decoding from RAM is basically free in most cases?

Reply #4
As it is named Full file buffering, it is about reading the (input) file. Decoding happens during the playback stage AFAIK.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.