Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What is a good Linux freeware graphical AAC encoder?  (Read 12371 times) previous topic - next topic

What is a good Linux freeware graphical AAC encoder?

By this I mean, a program with a graphical user interface is preferred. 
Or, if there is a good freeware front-end for a good freeware non-graphical encoder, please let me know. 

I do have SoX and FFMPEG, so if you know of a decent front end for either of those with AAC capability please let me know. 
I need it for Ubuntu Studio v16.04.x LTS and also for Xubuntu v14.04.x LTS. 

Thanks so much. 
Be a false negative of yourself!

Re: What is a good Linux freeware graphical AAC encoder?

Reply #2

You might like WinFF (as a frontend to ffmpeg, though you'll want to edit the defaults and presumably use libfdk-aac). It seems to strike a good balance of functionality without looking like an over complex mess.

Reply #3
By this I mean, a program with a graphical user interface is preferred. 
Or, if there is a good freeware front-end for a good freeware non-graphical encoder, please let me know. 

I do have SoX and FFMPEG, so if you know of a decent front end for either of those with AAC capability please let me know. 
I need it for Ubuntu Studio v16.04.x LTS and also for Xubuntu v14.04.x LTS. 

Thanks so much. 
Depends on the functionality needed, for simple stuff one can patch any script to nautilus or thunar right click. Example of Thunar custom action:
Code: [Select]
urxvt -e bash -c 'mediainfo %f && (read -n1 -r -p "Any key to quit...")'
will/should open an urxvt with mediainfo of the selected file.
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #4
Well, do you really want to use AAC on Linux?
As far as I know,
1) ffmpeg doesn't write gapless tags when encoding to AAC.
2) ffmpeg doesn't support gapless decoding of AAC (can trim silence at the beginning, but not the trailing)
3) As a result, it looks like many players based on ffmpeg fail to support gapless playback of AAC.

If you still want to use AAC, try https://github.com/nu774/fdkaac or neroaacenc instead of ffmpeg.
You should be able to use them from GUI frontends.

Reply #5
Thanks guys. 
I have DeadBeef and I tried the convert command but I got no resulting file(s) for some odd reason. 
Also I don't really know how to compile and would be afraid to try. 

Actually I prefer FLAC over AAC, but sometimes I edit videos and for some video formats AAC is preferred. 
I will try the other suggestions.  Thanks

Reply #6
GTK based and dead simple UI: Sound Converter
Qt based and much more featureful: soundKonverter

Reply #7
Foobar2000 works flawlessly with Wine. You can use Playonlinux as wine GUI to install foobar2000. Of course, using foobar2000 under linux as a player makes no sense. But as a converter, Foobar hardly has recommendable native  competitors on linux.
P.S. To use foobar converter functionality, you must first download console encoders windows binaries  and put them to /name-of-wineprefix/drive_c/Program Files/foobar2000/encoders folder in your wineprefix. Wineprefix folder usually located in ~/.wine (or /.playonlinux or smth, if you prefered playonlinux).
P.P.S. Screenshot http://storage8.static.itmages.com/i/16/0613/h_1465781805_8661618_282e9cc167.png
Yes, you can even use Apple AAC through so called "CoreAudioToolbox Portable" binaries.

Reply #8
Thanks for helping me out, guys. 

I did try Foobar2000 for AAC conversion and for some reason it crashes on my system, although I am able to convert to FLAC or WAV or WAVpack or OGG or even OPUS, I think. 

I guess I will try SoundKonverter since that's already installed on my system.  I had mistaken that for just being a CD Ripper.  I was wrong.  Hopefully that one will work out OK. 

Does VLC media player have an AAC converter?  I have that installed too...?

Reply #9
I did try Foobar2000 for AAC conversion and for some reason it crashes on my system, although I am able to convert to FLAC or WAV or WAVpack or OGG or even OPUS
Do you mean AppleAAC craches foobar while some other encoders works well? You can also try FhG AAC aka Winamp AAC http://audiophilesoft.ru/commandline/fhg_aac/fhgaacenc_Case_20151024.7z
FhG AAC has very good encoding quality comparable to AppleAAC. As for VLC, frankly, I don't know if it can be used as AAC converter. Even if it can I would not recommend it. VLC for sure uses smth like bad quality opensourse FAAC or FFmpegNative AAC coders. Actually, best opensource AAC encoder available on Linux for now is FDK AAC.
P.S. KDE SoundKonverter mentioned above is compatible with Nero AAC (quite good but proprietary coder). You can download linux binaries here http://ftp6.nero.com/tools/NeroAACCodec-1.5.1.zip and unzip them as superuser to /usr/bin to make them "visible" to SoundKonverter.       

Reply #10
Hey thanks so much Mpuzirew.  You are really helpful. 
Well, foobar2000 doesn't crash, but the conversion using AAC and the included codecs crashes and fails.  Meanwhile, yes, the other encoders work.  I think you solved all my issues, thanks. 

Reply #11
Hey thanks so much Mpuzirew.  You are really helpful. 
Well, foobar2000 doesn't crash, but the conversion using AAC and the included codecs crashes and fails.  Meanwhile, yes, the other encoders work.  I think you solved all my issues, thanks. 

If you're using QAAC, you need to install the Apple Core Audio stuff in WINE.  So download the iTunes installer and then right click on it in Nautilus and choose Extract.  It will unzip the installer.  You then want to install AppleApplicationSupport into Wine.  That will get QAAC in foobar2000 working for encoding AAC files.

Reply #12
Might not need to install Apple Core Audio stuff, just copy required files to same place with qaac.

https://sites.google.com/site/qaacpage/cabinet

Get makeportable.zip and see what files are needed from .cmd script.

Reply #13
Might not need to install Apple Core Audio stuff, just copy required files to same place with qaac.

https://sites.google.com/site/qaacpage/cabinet

Hmmm....  That's worth a look.  I don't do much with AAC these days.  Now that I have a good Subsonic client for iOS that can play Ogg Vorbis natively, I just use that.

Reply #14
Or you can use this qaac+latest dlls archive already prepared http://audiophilesoft.ru/commandline/qaac/qaac_2.58_CoreAudioToolbox_7.10.5.0.7z (important note: 64 bit binaries won't work in Wine, use 32 bit only).

Reply #15
Or you can use this qaac+latest dlls archive already prepared http://audiophilesoft.ru/commandline/qaac/qaac_2.58_CoreAudioToolbox_7.10.5.0.7z (important note: 64 bit binaries won't work in Wine, use 32 bit only).

64-bit binaries work just fine with wine64.
Maybe your distribution's packages are out-of-date or lack 64-bit support.

Reply #16
64-bit binaries work just fine with wine64.
You are most likely right. Maybe I'm behind the times :) Frankly, I got used to the fact that wine was always 32-bit by default so I avoid 64 bit windows apps by force of habit. Not to mention the fact that at this time I use Crossover instead of Wine, Crossover is 32 bit. Аnyway, thanks for the clarification.

Reply #17
Thanks so much for the info and files on decent AAC encoders for Linux. 

I was able to update the AAC encoder backends for 32-bit Windows Foobar2000 with some missing .DLLs and of course the EXE's and thus get the coders working. 
Also, I was able to install the native Linux Nero AAC encoders to be used with SoundKonverter. 
All in all, everything is working now, which is a whole lot better than when nothing worked. 
I was able to test out conversion and embedding into some video files with AVIdeMux/etc, and it worked great. 

Reply #18
My favorite audio encoding software is fr:ac (https://www.freac.org/) and I just found out that it is also avaiable for Linux (I'm mainly a Windows user).
fre:ac uses the free faac-encoder for AAC-encoding but will replace it with Fraunhofer FDK AAC or Apple AAC if avaiable.
More information about this can be found here:
https://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/freac_-_free_audio_converter/ (Website is in German)

Reply #19
Actually I prefer FLAC over AAC, but sometimes I edit videos and for some video formats AAC is preferred.
If you use MKV as container format, you can just use Vorbis audio, which is just as good as AAC.

Reply #20
Or Opus, which is even better for low bitrates (~120 and below) and it usually claimed to be at least as good as Vorbis on higher bitrates.
a fan of AutoEq + Meier Crossfeed