Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Playlists - Why is this so complicated? (Read 3501 times) previous topic - next topic

Playlists - Why is this so complicated?

Hello. First post. Sorry to be so dumb, but this program is just beyond my basic comprehension.

I am using Darkone4mod V1. I have been messing with the settings for days and cannot find anything that makes sense of basic functionality.

I can create a playlist and save it, load it, remove it, add to it. Why is it so difficult to double click a song, listen to it, and not have it replace my EL playlist every time?

Why is it impossible to have a right click context menu to remove a song added to my playlist that I don't want?

I am basic and need basic functions that all other music players have. Can anyone help with a video tutorial?

Please help!

Re: Playlists - Why is this so complicated?

Reply #1
this program is just beyond my basic comprehension.

I am using Darkone4mod V1.

That skin might not be for you.
You should try to use default foobar skin configuration and I'm sure it will meet your basic needs.
Somewhere, there's someone dying in a foreign land
Meanwhile, the world is crying stupidity of man
Tell me why, tell me why

Reply #2
Hi there,

Where are you double-clicking the song from? I assume you might be talking about opening a file from Windows Explorer, which tends to replace the playlist contents. If so, go Preferences > Shell Integration and tick 'Always send new files to playlist: [name]'. Or 'Set enqueue as the default action' to append tracks.

By default there IS a right-click option to remove tracks from playlists. Perhaps the theme you are using is different?

Cheers

Reply #3
Hi there,

Where are you double-clicking the song from? I assume you might be talking about opening a file from Windows Explorer, which tends to replace the playlist contents. If so, go Preferences > Shell Integration and tick 'Always send new files to playlist: [name]'. Or 'Set enqueue as the default action' to append tracks.

By default there IS a right-click option to remove tracks from playlists. Perhaps the theme you are using is different?

Cheers

I am double clicking from the Album List left pane. I just want to be able to double click a track and append to the open playlist I have created. Not replace it with a new single track playlist. There is no remove track in the right click context menu either. I am just looking for basic operation like all other media players.
Double click to play.
Ability to add to playlist.
Ability to remove if I don't want it in the playlist.

I was able to add a component that adds the ability to add a remove track function to the Menu button context tree for remove track, but it boggles my mind why this is so elusive to achieve In the EL playlist pane.

Reply #4
I am double clicking from the Album List left pane. I just want to be able to double click a track and append to the open playlist I have created. Not replace it with a new single track playlist. There is no remove track in the right click context menu either. I am just looking for basic operation like all other media players.
Double click to play.

I was able to add a component that adds the ability to add a remove track function to the Menu button context tree for remove track, but it boggles my mind why this is so elusive to achieve In the EL playlist pane.

Album List options allow: File > Preferences >Media Library > Album List > Actions > Double-click action > Add to Current Playlist

Removing tracks from an ELPlaylist does not rely on menu shortcuts, but rather the Delete key on your keyboard.

Reply #5
Double click to play.

Album List options allow: File > Preferences >Media Library > Album List > Actions > Double-click action > Add to Current Playlist

Did not work. Same behavior. Replaced my open playlist with single track new playlist.

Reply #6
Did not work. Same behavior. Replaced my open playlist with single track new playlist.
Album List Panel > Settings (r-click) > Disable > Auto-send to playlist: Library View.

Reply #7
My mistake. I took a quick look at the config you are using and it uses Album List Panel (a CUI component) which behaves erratically unlike foobar2000's fully functional Album List. As mentioned above by Vicas, you may want to reconsider using that config if it is not behaving like you want. The problem does not lie with foobar2000 itself, rather the configuration being used.

Interesting.
I cannot imagine a skin completely altering basic functionality to be near impossible to get back.

I guess this was just too much to comprehend  or ask. Guess I'll try another or ditch fb2k altogether.

Reply #8
See post edit above. It took me five minutes of digging around to locate the option in a component I am not familiar with. Not sure how long you have used this configuration, but you should be at least semi-familiar with looking at component options in any case.

Reply #9
I cannot imagine a skin completely altering basic functionality to be near impossible to get back.
This is the entire point of foobar. You can customize how things function to a much deeper level than other players.

I'd suggest what Vicas already said. Start with default and add stuff once you are more familiar with the basics.

If you don't like tinkering then this isn't the player for you.

Reply #10
See post edit above. It took me five minutes of digging around to locate the option in a component I am not familiar with. Not sure how long you have used this configuration, but you should be at least semi-familiar with looking at component options in any case.

Thank you! That did it. MUCH APPRECIATE YOU ALL! I didn't want to give up that easily.

Honestly, I have been messing with customizing mostly. Only been using it on and off a couple hours for a few days now until I started using the player I realized something was off. The last few days have been messing with toggling on and off all kinds of album list and playlist settings and gave up and found this site to ask.

I now have a couple things to figure out on customizing and will reach out in another thread.

Reply #12
@ EminentOne

Curious... also using DarkOne 4.0 theme.
What settings did you use that worked?
Was it this settings? ...I can't get that to work... :|
https://i.imgur.com/LwPXoXO.jpg

Best regards,
redorb
What is the opposite of music?

Reply #14
Hmm... that doesn't work for me.
Thanks for replying.

Best regards,
redorb

Reply #15
Hmm... that doesn't work for me.
Thanks for replying.

Best regards,
redorb

In Album List Panel try changing double click to Add to Playlist also.

Reply #16
No cigar... I just can't get it to work. :/
But no biggie, I've learned not to use "Play in..." or doubleclick on any music file, just use "Encueue in..."
I'm fine with that.

Thanks, stay safe and healthy, best regards,
redorb