Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Synapse: Let your PC decide tunes you want to hear (Read 5162 times) previous topic - next topic

Synapse: Let your PC decide tunes you want to hear

Dont know if anyone has seen this before but it looks kind of neat.. the lack of support for the formats that would interest HA users is an issue but one i'm sure could be resolved..

http://www.synapseai.com/index.asp

Not had a chance to try it out yet, but i definately like the idea... don't know how smart it is though..

Apologies if its already been talked about on here

Reply #1
I emailed them asking to look at foobar for plug-in possibilities, hopefully it could work, and if so hopefully they'll make one

Reply #2
Looks interesting, but the buzzwords are sickening.  Since AI is kind of my field, I get irritated whenever people take a simple neural network that any undergraduate CS student could use and then start talking about how it "works like the brain" and whatnot.

Also irritating is that buzzwords are all there seem to be; there's no information about how it "learns" your habits.  It's really easy to design a crappy machine learning system (especially since you can download public domain code for most of the algorithms), and really hard to design a good one.

Reply #3
wtf, adwatch closes this proggy while trying to install...

any chance it has got spyware or stuff to upload my music likings to the net??

Reply #4
Also irritating is that buzzwords are all there seem to be; there's no information about how it "learns" your habits.

It doesnt have to learn what you like...  "Black Jesus" already knows everything. 

Reply #5
I installed the plugin for Winamp 2.x (using 2.81), but I can't get the damn thing to work. All I see is "gen_brain.dll |NOT LOADED|" in the general purpose plugin section. I guess the "brain" detected my subconscious hatred for plugins that actually work, and simply gave me what I wanted. Amazing. 

Reply #6
I've been using the Winamp 2.xx plugin for a bit, and it seems to work really well. Only problem is that it won't add songs that you only listen to partly, so it's not totally accurate, but I'm guessing that's more a shortcoming of Winamp's plugin system than the plugin, but who knows.  I'm liking it quite a bit.  I'm using Winamp 2.91

Reply #7
I reinstalled winamp, 2.91, to check this plugin out.  But it won't read tags or anything on all my mp3s, since I changed them all to id3v1/ape2 for foobar now, haha.  The plugin seems to be working, but all the mp3s are goofy-volumed compared to the next/last.  All replaygained with foobar.  Oh well.  Maybe we'll see a foobar plugin.

Reply #8
[span style='font-size:7pt;line-height:100%']Why the Brain?      

At some point in every man's life, he's bound to find himself in bed with a Chinese girl. It may happen suddenly, and you may not remember how it happened, but it will happen -- I guarantee that. When the time comes he needs to be ready. He needs his full arsenal at hand. And by this I mean music. Too many times has the playlist run short on soft acoustic guitar songs, quieting the room to an awkward silence and giving the Chinese girl a chance to reconsider what she's about to do. I've seen it happen, and it's not pretty.
As a matter of fact, it's happened to me. And so we have spent the better part of the last six months of our lives making sure it doesn't happen to you. Because if it ever does, you won't be able to say "Why the hell doesn't my MP3 player just know what songs I want it to play?"

We've got you covered. Use the Brain. [/span]

Creepy way to shill a plugin.

Reply #9
huh, the interface looks like a "double rip-off" from winamp and sonique... and the website is so pathetic (while being a winamp rip-off too). 

regards; ilikedirt

Reply #10
Is it really useful ?

I admit that I have habits when listening music, always playing the same Archive/Portishead/Lamb tracks sequence because it just sounds good or because it reminds me something very specific. But do I want to have these habits enforced by software ? No, not really. I'm always happy to retrieve a forsaken CD my aunt Gertrude gave me for Christmas five years ago which I could not listen more than two minutes... until now. Choosing the tracks is part of the listening pleasure.

Reply #11
[span style='font-size:7pt;line-height:100%']Why the Brain?      

At some point in every man's life, he's bound to find himself in bed with a Chinese girl. It may happen suddenly, and you may not remember how it happened, but it will happen -- I guarantee that. When the time comes he needs to be ready. He needs his full arsenal at hand. And by this I mean music. Too many times has the playlist run short on soft acoustic guitar songs, quieting the room to an awkward silence and giving the Chinese girl a chance to reconsider what she's about to do. I've seen it happen, and it's not pretty.
As a matter of fact, it's happened to me. And so we have spent the better part of the last six months of our lives making sure it doesn't happen to you. Because if it ever does, you won't be able to say "Why the hell doesn't my MP3 player just know what songs I want it to play?"

We've got you covered. Use the Brain. [/span]

Creepy way to shill a plugin.

I noticed that too. There are a few other strange passages on the website. It looks like a joke to me, some funny project done by programmers under the influence.

Reply #12
I hope it can save cos I would hate for the brain to learn my fav tunes after 1+ years (then it really will know/remember better than me what I like) & I format my PC & have to start over  .

Reply #13
Am I the only one that has a problem with pattern-recognition stuff telling me what I want to hear?  Regardless of how good it actually may be, I simply like my listening 'habits' to evolve through my own will.

Sure I have my favourites, but I don't want to be locked into some stereotype.  A bias in song sequencing could keep one from discovering those gems that take multiple listens to appreciate.  It's hard to be sure, since it isn't revealed how this plug-in really works.

At any rate, I prefer using my own neural net.  How do you guys feel about this?

Reply #14
Am I the only one that has a problem with pattern-recognition stuff telling me what I want to hear?  Regardless of how good it actually may be, I simply like my listening 'habits' to evolve through my own will.

Sure I have my favourites, but I don't want to be locked into some stereotype.  A bias in song sequencing could keep one from discovering those gems that take multiple listens to appreciate.  It's hard to be sure, since it isn't revealed how this plug-in really works.

At any rate, I prefer using my own neural net.  How do you guys feel about this?

I agree, partly because choosing what music I want to play is part of the fun of listening to music.  That's part of why I buy CDs too instead of just using mp3s/oggs/etc., 'cause then I get the added enjoyment of physically picking out a CD out of my collection and putting it in the player.  But even with mp3s/oggs I like looking through them and picking stuff out to listen to.

Reply #15
dBPoweramp allows you to rate your music. So, in shuffle mode, tracks you like a lot and rated well are played mor often than the ones you dislike. So you are not forced to obey a certain brain. I used to replace winamp2.81 by dBPoweramp only for this feature. but I missed winamps wide spread features too much..
I love the moderators.