Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [Necropost] MP3 File: Quality degrades over time? (Read 522 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from MP3 File: Quality deg...

[Necropost] MP3 File: Quality degrades over time?

Can anyone elaborate? Will our MP3 files really degrade over  time?
Your files won't degrade over time - unless there is something wrong with your hard drive. Beyond that I don't know what this article is referring to. Maybe encoding a low frequency note over several frames results in some sort of artifact? I'm not saying this is true, just maybe what the author meant by "a loss of information over time". On second thought, it just made no sense at all.
well, from my experience, back in 93 I was to start a new job travelling LOT. So, I took all the CDs I had and copied the tracks to mp3. If I remember correctly, I used mp3 pro with 192kb. Put them on a fifth Gen iPod that would play videos as well, 160gb hd. Over time, I have a few tracks that just muddle the sound and then drop out. I don't think mp3 is a good long term storage solution. Glad I packed my CDs away!

Re: [Necropost] MP3 File: Quality degrades over time?

Reply #1
Hydrogenaudio threads: Will quality degrade over time? Is there bit rot? Experience from a nearly seventeen year storage experiment.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)