Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Taskbar player (Read 4171 times) previous topic - next topic

Taskbar player

[font="Arial Black"][/font][size="5"][/size]  There has been an ongoing interest in having a taskbar player for Foobar 2000. Yes, there are a few options by way of third party plugins but these do not work ,do not work well enough or are simply user unfriendly.
  I would like to use Foobar 2000 but do not bekause 99% of the time that I use a media player, I am using it from the taskbar. Foobar's lack of an adequit user friendly taskbar player/mode has forsed me to stay with WMP 11 which has a very good taskbar mode.
  Forget the third party stuff. Why not make Foobar 2000 with a taskbar komponant ? This kould be inkluded in the installer as a native komponant and people kould choose to install it or not just as they do with other komponants.
  Think WMP 11 mini- mode for a good model.

Taskbar player

Reply #1
Between right click on the Foobar icon and / or using global keyboard shortcuts to functions I need,  I see no reason to burden the default install.

What function, for you, is missing from the default implementation?

What task bar 3rd party component does not work for you?

terry

Taskbar player

Reply #2
Between right click on the Foobar icon and / or using global keyboard shortcuts to functions I need,  I see no reason to burden the default install.

What function, for you, is missing from the default implementation?

What task bar 3rd party component does not work for you?

terry

I  admitt that I am a komputer dummy. But then, probably 99 % of the people who are using komputers are too. If I am having trouble getting things to work, most others who might want to try Foobar 200 are having trouble too. This alone should be reason enough to make changes in favor of user friendliness.
  I thought that I had gone through the literature "helps" and saw nothing mentioned about "right klick ikons" nor keyboard shortkuts. If I have not founf these then most people have not found them . Most people wont bother to write a letter to the forum. They will just quit trying to use a program that is not easy to use or figgure out.
  Windows Media Player 11 is the easiest/ most user friendly media player and more than 95 % of media player users will use it bekause it is so user friendly.There is something to learn here for anybody who would like to see Foobar 2000 used by more people. "Free" is not enough.In fakt, if it is not user friendly, it is too kostly and will be rejekted.
  Almost the entire reason for me to try Foobar 2000 over WMP 11 is the ability to "kustomize" the player.  Microsoft has many qualities to their programs but the one point that has konsistantly irked software users is Microsoft's  " you'll take what we give you" approach to kustomer relations. When I hear a user asking from Foobar 2000 the " kustomizable" program for  improvements to the program and the response is " why burden the programm", I think Oh boy, its Microsoft all over again.
  WMP  might not be kustomizable, but then maybe Foobar isn't either. I really don't want to use anything other than Foobar, but WMP is free and user friendly.

Taskbar player

Reply #3
I think the problem lies with your expectations. You just wanted a customizable music player and you got foobar.
While foobar happens to be very custimizable (via plugins) that's not really what foobar is about in the first place. Most people probably use it for it's general quality and countless features. The eye candy is nice too, of course.
But if you only chose foobar for it's customizability, especially as a "compuder dummy" as you say, then you'll end up very frustrated with foobar. It's certainly not the most user friendly player and many aswesome features are -very- well hidden sometimes, but once you discover them you don't want miss a single one.

Taskbar player

Reply #4
gleefield

Is there point to your previous post. You want help...then state a specific use case that is troubling you and help you shall receive. Dissertation on what you perceive as user friendly and what you perceive as the needs of 99% of computer users is pointless.

terry

EDIT: If you want to try and see if the functionality that I suggested will work for you. Preferences >Default User Interface >System Notification ArRea > tick to minimize. Right clicking on the foobar icon will give you a pop up that offers some methods to control the player.

Right clicking an icon to expose functions is standard windows programing - nearly ever icon currently in your windows does the same.

Taskbar player

Reply #5
gleefield

Is there point to your previous post. You want help...then state a specific use case that is troubling you and help you shall receive. Dissertation on what you perceive as user friendly and what you perceive as the needs of 99% of computer users is pointless.

terry

EDIT: If you want to try and see if the functionality that I suggested will work for you. Preferences >Default User Interface >System Notification ArRea > tick to minimize. Right clicking on the foobar icon will give you a pop up that offers some methods to control the player.

Right clicking an icon to expose functions is standard windows programing - nearly ever icon currently in your windows does the same.

I will try this. The plug ins that I kould not get to install  or "plug in" were the winamp advansed  and the foobar advansed kontrols.

Taskbar player

Reply #6
Good luck

In the past I did use a taskbar control. Might very well of been advancedcontrol plug in. After awhile, I realized all I really wanted was quick volume up / down and pause when Foobar was minimized. I did not really care if I clicked some sort of visually nice set of buttons.

I ended up quite happy with using three keyboard shortcuts. It is not difficult to set up - if you want to try, let us know and someone can walk you through the basics.

terry

Taskbar player

Reply #7
Good luck

In the past I did use a taskbar control. Might very well of been advancedcontrol plug in. After awhile, I realized all I really wanted was quick volume up / down and pause when Foobar was minimized. I did not really care if I clicked some sort of visually nice set of buttons.

I ended up quite happy with using three keyboard shortcuts. It is not difficult to set up - if you want to try, let us know and someone can walk you through the basics.

terry

How did you get the advansed kontrols to install/plug in ? I have had no luck in this.

Taskbar player

Reply #8
I would suggest you take the time to explain what you are doing. Saying that you tried and it does not work does not provide enough information for anyone to assist.
I would also suggest that when you reference the name of the component, you actually type the name used by the developer so that we know what it is you are talking about.

In reference to your immediate issue, I did nothing out of the ordinary. It is a basic install.

Downloaded from developer page: http://www.niversoft.com/downloads/?p=fac
Installed the dll into standard components directory.
Start foobar.
Done.

terry