Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Windows software for iPod (Read 2650 times) previous topic - next topic

Windows software for iPod

Still doing some research on MP3 portables, and looking again at the latest gen iPod's. Is there any GOOD alternative to using MusicMatch to transfer music to an iPod? What about XPlay, is it any good? Other alternatives?

I'm also somewhat concerned if I would have to actually use MusicMatch to encode my MP3's, or is it only used for transferring already-encoded files? Of course I will (or will want to...) be encoding in Lame APS using 3.90.3 binaries.

And that brings me to another question I've been wondering about. I haven't done any listening tests, but I've been wondering what kind of quality I will get by transcoding MPC files (1.14 encoder) at quality 7 to MP3 in APS using Lame 3.90.3. Is this good enough for portable use? Or is there enough of a quality loss that I would be better off to re-encode from CD? I have decent quality Sennheiser MX-300 earbuds (and a set of Sony MDR-Q55SL's) which I will use with whatever portable I buy. And, that is the reason I haven't performed any listening tests... haven't got a portable to test with... B)

Reply #1
And that brings me to another question I've been wondering about. I haven't done any listening tests, but I've been wondering what kind of quality I will get by transcoding MPC files (1.14 encoder) at quality 7 to MP3 in APS using Lame 3.90.3. Is this good enough for portable use? Or is there enough of a quality loss that I would be better off to re-encode from CD?

I'm not even going to answer your question, but I would encourage you to participate in the discussion (or lack thereof) to a very similar question that I asked.
Are you interested in a transcoding listening test?

I need feedback on test material so that such a test can be reasonably fair.

Reply #2
Sveta portable audio
EphPod
"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you."