Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MP3 tags gone after replaygain (Read 3264 times) previous topic - next topic

MP3 tags gone after replaygain

I wanted to use foobar to replaygain my music collection. I also have flac files so I was advised to use foobar because it has a album replaygain function.

The ID3V2 tag support plugin was also installed (all my mp3's have V1 and V2 tags)
With the standard settings al my mp3 tag info was not visible in the playlist of foobar   

I selected all my files and used "scan selection for mutiple albums"
The result was 8552 files without tags   

I'm no fool so I have a backup, but it sux imHo

/me goes back to winamp (I love its joystick controls)

Reply #1
/me goes back to winamp (I love its joystick controls)[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=262602"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Makes me wonder why you bothered to create this thread in the first place...

I don't use ID3v2 tags, but my guess is that you installed the ID3v2 component, but didn't configure fb2k to use them when writing tags (Preferences->Playback->Input->Standard inputs). Hence, replaygain data was written to APEv2 tags. AFAIK, APEv2 has higher priority than IDv2 when reading tags, and because of that, your meta data is hidden, but not erased...

Reply #2
rule of thumb #1 - in case of uncertainty, always do a dummy run first
rule of thumb #2 - search forums
rule of thumb #3 - ask

i see no point in posting what you did ...

Reply #3
/me goes back to winamp (I love its joystick controls)[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=262602"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Makes me wonder why you bothered to create this thread in the first place...

I thought it was a bug, so reporting it / telling my story would help.
I don't use ID3v2 tags, but my guess is that you installed the ID3v2 component, but didn't configure fb2k to use them when writing tags (Preferences->Playback->Input->Standard inputs). Hence, replaygain data was written to APEv2 tags. AFAIK, APEv2 has higher priority than IDv2 when reading tags, and because of that, your meta data is hidden, but not erased...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=262631"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My meta date was gone, I checked it with Tag&Rename (which also can read apev2). 

rule of thumb #1 - in case of uncertainty, always do a dummy run first
rule of thumb #2 - search forums
rule of thumb #3 - ask

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=262633"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

#1 I did, but only on flac file    my mistake...
#2 found nothing. I search for "flac replaygain album"
#3 Why ask when it should work? (like asking " I'm going to use foobar to play music, wil that work?")

Good that I did not "forget" rule of thumb #0 - make backups

Reply #4
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=262631"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My meta date was gone, I checked it with Tag&Rename (which also can read apev2).[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=262636"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Is "Remove ID3v2 tags while updating" checked in the mentioned place in preferences? Was ID3v2 writing enabled?

Note: I'm sure I've seen this mentioned several times before, so if you want to solve your problem because you want to use foobar2000, then a search would probably be the fastest way.

Reply #5
Most likely the tags are still written as APEv2, and whatever software you're using doesn't support APEv2 correctly.

Try this:

Select ID3v2 as the output type, select your files, right click and choose "rewrite tags", go out and get dinner, then see if the problem magically vanishes.

Also, one other thing that wasn't clear, are all these files MP3 or are some FLAC?