Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [USELESS] Open source discussion (Read 10608 times) previous topic - next topic

[USELESS] Open source discussion

Reply #25
I believe it behooves us all to correct/remind by counter-argumentation if any single person in the world takes sth. for granted without sufficient evidence or good argument on his part.

He never asked anyone "do you agree with me?", "do you believe this is the right thing to do?" or "am I missing something?".

People here need to stop forcing on others what they believe is the right thing to do "Use foobar! Use EAC! WMA sucks!" if these others aren't asking for opinions.

People here are too opinionated. I am too, but I don't try forcing people to do what I do, use what I use.

Reply #26
He made a very simple question, and a bunch of people fell over him for deviating from the pattern.

There are a lot of great things to be said of this forum, and this is one example of what is wrong with it.
flac > schiit modi > schiit magni > hd650

Reply #27
He never asked anyone "do you agree with me?", "do you believe this is the right thing to do?" or "am I missing something?".

I don't care. It's my duty and everyone else's duty as far as I am concerned if someone takes sth. for granted/makes a decision based on insufficient evidence/argument.

People here need to stop forcing on others what they believe is the right thing to do "Use foobar! Use EAC! WMA sucks!" if these others aren't asking for opinions.

Once again. I never force him into a particular piece of software. All I was doing is to criticise his decision on giving up some piece of software just because it is not open source. And I don't think anyone on the planet could explain me reasonably why this is something logical which proves my point. That's all I am going to say.

Edit: argument->decision.
The object of mankind lies in its highest individuals.
One must have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.

Reply #28
All I was doing is to criticise his argument

he didn't use any argument, for Christ's sake!!!!

Only after everyone started confrontating him for being different.

Reply #29
flac > schiit modi > schiit magni > hd650

Reply #30
The problem is: AFAIK there is no open source program that works as well as EAC. Not a single one.

This cannot, and will never be, an argument against trying another solution and especially not against writing it. Good software doesn't spontaneously come into existence but starts out buggy and incomplete and then improves over time.

The main argument for open source, other than the fact that you're pretty much guaranteed to always have at least what you have now, is that it benefits more people. Usually, someone writes an application, and someone else might find another use for it, or port it to other operating system. This would probably have happened much more rapidly to CDParanoia III if it weren't so tightly wed to Linux.

Reply #31
Whatever happened to splitting off topics? i can only see Roberto's first reply and a few more on topic, the rest are dissertations of an individual who can't accept other people's choices, and counter arguments to it...

IMO atici deserves a warning.
She is waiting in the air

Reply #32
IMO atici deserves a warning.

Oh yeah? what about the choices of the individual in this thread ? I think they're far more respectable but no one seems to care.

Reply #33
Oh yeah? what about the choices of the individual in this thread ? I think they're far more respectable but no one seems to care.

I don't know if you're talking about Soren, but I'll take the bait.

In that thread, he said why he was concerned about APE's robustness. And he asked if APE is OK - one can deduce that question also contains "if it's not OK, then what is?".

So, in that thread, it's OK to give opinions.

But in Cey's first post, he didn't tell why he wanted an open sourced ripper  -he just wanted to replace EAC - , and neither asked if EAC, or anything else, is OK. Still, you came shoving your opinion on him and criticizing his reasoning (that you didn't even know for sure at that time!).

Also, I'll reply to something you later edited:

I don't care. It's my duty and everyone else's duty as far as I am concerned if someone takes sth. for granted/makes a decision based on insufficient evidence/argument.

You didn't knew he was taking anything for granted. You just guessed it.
You didn't knew what evidence he had. Therefore, neither you knew if it was insufficient or not.
And he didn't use any argument.

And no, it's not anyone's duty to meddle with other's affairs if these others didn't ask for it.

Reply #34
So, in that thread, it's OK to give opinions.

I thought so too. But then the thread is closed by the moderator. That makes me think it's not OK to give opinions. If it wasn't OK to give opinions in that thread, it's definitely not OK to give in this one.

You didn't knew he was taking anything for granted. You just guessed it. And he didn't use any argument.

There was no need to guess. There could be no valid argument justifying his decision, and that was my point of criticism. I would've apologized if he could give a good reason for what he is doing. I wish he said he was a developer, which could only explain the reason for otherwise such a ridiculous post.

I really have no problems with CDEx, cdparanoia or with the people using them. I think they're very good rippers and very respectable projects. I too like the open source movement. But although I tried to refrain from commenting again in this thread, I was repeatedly blamed for bitching that he is not using EAC but an inferior ripper.

No bitter feelings. I think going on with this discussion really makes the thread stray away from its already petty point. So let's talk about open source rippers and help him out.

Reply #35
I thought so too. But then the thread is closed by the moderator. That makes me think it's not OK to give opinions. If it wasn't OK to give opinions in that thread, it's definitely not OK to give in this one.

Hrm.. as I understand, that thread was closed because Soren was planning something illegal (rip the CDs and then sell them, keeping the rips). Not because he raised concerns about APE.

Read Tigre's post just above Peter's.