Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: linux? (Read 15398 times) previous topic - next topic

linux?

Why only M$ Windows? Why not Linux?

linux?

Reply #1
Writing "MS" as "M$" is clever and original.

linux?

Reply #2
Very good reason: GCC does not support __declspec(novtable)

Another good reason: The player, along with every component, uses Win32 API functions

Yet another good reason: I don't think any of the developers use Linux, and I don't see Peter using Linux or opening the player core any time soon.

linux?

Reply #4
Linux shouldent be a desktop. Plainly stated, "M$" has created the second best desktop environment known to man, and until someone besides the freeware opensource people at the Linux community start doing something Windows will reign as the king of desktop environments. >:D

linux?

Reply #5
Second best?  Second to what?

linux?

Reply #6
I think he is referring to that which one of my friends drools over to this day.

OS X.

linux?

Reply #7
No, Windows isn't 'teh best' environment, only most popular...
Linux can be made into very usable desktop. (KDE, Gnome, Xfce, etc.)
/EDIT\ Diskreet, I bet you haven't tried Knoppix. \EDIT/
Only games make me keep Windows...
(When I find any bug, I always check if fb2k behaves same in win)

Oh, did I mention that FB2k works in WineX? (maybe in Wine too, but I didn't try it)
You still need many native DLLs to run it.
Of course, full port would be preferable.

/EDIT\ Kode, API won't be a barrier if Z makes foobar more abstract.
I think that major obstacles are threading, messaging, outputs and UI
(which doesn't necessary need to be identical to Win one). \EDIT/
ruxvilti'a

linux?

Reply #8
I think he is referring to that which one of my friends drools over to this day.

OS X.

Pft.  I am not a fan of the Mac.

linux?

Reply #9
No, Windows isn't 'teh best' environment, only most popular...
Linux can be made into very usable desktop. (KDE, Gnome, Xfce, etc.)

The most important things for the average user are simplicity and consistency.  Linux's myriad of desktops provide neither.

Kode, API won't be a barrier if Z makes foobar more abstract.
I think that major obstacles are threading, messaging, outputs and UI
(which doesn't necessary need to be identical to Win one).

I'm pretty sure that Kode understands what would need to be done for a full port.  But the things you're talking about are anything but minor.

linux?

Reply #10

OS X.

Hehe.

OS X "is" Unix. Linux "is" Unix. Every f***** OS is Unix, besides Windoze - if ya know what i mean 

FreeBSD, Solaris, GNU, AIX.... check this: http://www.levenez.com/unix/

E: BTW, ever heard of Debian? Sure, hard to learn and such, but imo the best OS in this universe.

linux?

Reply #11
NT is actually POSIX compliant as well.

linux?

Reply #12

Yeah, and it's also OS/2 compliant...

MS integrated a POSIX interface into NT to meet the requirements of some US governmental instutions. It's enough to say "it has POSIX", but not enough to be usable. About the same goes for the OS/2 support. I read this in A. Tanenbaum: Modern Operating Systems, but I can't find the exact location right now.

linux?

Reply #13
Just my 0.02€ on the OS war:
Both OSs Windows (>2k) and GNU/Linux (or one of the BSDs for that matter), have their uses and are very fast and stable operating systems. I use all of them every day and wouldn't want to live without any of thema nd with CygWin/MinGW you can make Win2k a nice *nix workstation including X...

dev0
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

linux?

Reply #14
I will soon be testing FB2k in linux under wine...... If I get it to work I will post back.

linux?

Reply #15

Yeah, and it's also OS/2 compliant...

MS integrated a POSIX interface into NT to meet the requirements of some US governmental instutions. It's enough to say "it has POSIX", but not enough to be usable. About the same goes for the OS/2 support. I read this in A. Tanenbaum: Modern Operating Systems, but I can't find the exact location right now. 

Meh.  I don't know about OS/2, nor do I really care about that.

But NT is fully POSIX compliant.  I've read this in a number of books, and I believe it's true.  (A POSIX compliant OS need not be a UNIX OS.)

As a side note, I don't really care a whole lot about what Andrew Tanenbaum says.  He also once went into a big spiel online about how Linux was a dead OS, because it's a macrokernel.  (As opposed to Minix's crippled microkernel.)

linux?

Reply #16
My 2 cents on OS X.

I think PC users should grieve for the loss of plans to release OS X for PC, ever since Microsoft "injected cash" into Apple.  Apparently, "Rhapsody", which was the developmental version of OS X was running quite happily on x86 hardware and my friend had it on CD.

I had a play with OS X last night on my friend's computer and I agree it was the most amazing experience I've ever had.  The user interface was so easy to use, unique, and powerful, it was hard to believe that underneath in the core was BSD unix and the Mach microkernel.  I've been a PC user (Windows and Linux) for a long time but Mac OS X was awfully tempting since it can run X windows apps and compile linux applications.

With regards to NT, I believe it was first designed by a guy from Digital who was the architect of VMS.  So NT is probably an advanced version of VMS.  As for POSIX compliance, Microsoft makes a big deal out of it to woo away traditional unix users but really, NT is as closed as anything.  OS/2 support is probably broken in XP since no-one really cares now. lol.

linux?

Reply #17
POSIX compliance has nothing to do with openness.

linux?

Reply #18
POSIX compliance has nothing to do with openness.

I never said it did.

linux?

Reply #19
As for POSIX compliance, Microsoft makes a big deal out of it to woo away traditional unix users but really, NT is as closed as anything.

Meh, whatever.

linux?

Reply #20
Test 1 :

FB2k will run with wine but the audio will not work.  As soon as the audio starts you get a feedback like sound.  Has the guy making LAMIP talked to the dev team any?

Test 2 :

FB2k will run oggs.... so I'm off to find the MP3 codec.

Test 3 :

FB2k will run mp3s with the right codecs.... I'm now going to see If I can get all the plug-ins to work.

Test 4 :

I can't get it to read RAR/Zip files..... and the menu don't show right but it works.

linux?

Reply #21
Hey sorry I havent been posting. Yes, i've tried Knoppix, I've also tried Gentoo. However no matter how you set up Linux the only real desktop environment for it "The X Protocol", more commonly known as "XFree" sucks. It's horrible.

Yes, I was refering to Mac OS X. Based off the most stable kernel known to man, Darwin, Max OS X.2 rocks everythings socks. The hardware Apple puts in there is also suberb, rather than supporting millions of things with megabytes of drivers, apple picks certain high quality (expensive) brands and sticks to them, steamlining the driver packages you need for the system.

Dont knock me down to some n00b who hates linux because he type that rm command that deleted everything and lost all his pr0n. I know my shyt

Linux is by far the best operating system for a cheap, effective serever system for gaming server or HTTP servers alike. Linux is also a fun hobby, but dont confuse yourself to thinking it's better than anything in the world. To get linux to do what windows can do after a fresh install you need to spend a long time configuring it, or install a mainsteam distro, which usually have assloads of glitches. Unix surpasses Linux, but also costs money. But for the mainstream gamer/programmer you want a nice Windows system, afforable and quite effective. I personally am saving for a nice G4 Tower from Apple, though.

And somehow all of this has to do with foobar. *poof*

linux?

Reply #22
I hate OS wars.

The hardware Apple puts in there is also suberb, rather than supporting millions of things with megabytes of drivers, apple picks certain high quality (expensive) brands and sticks to them, steamlining the driver packages you need for the system.

I agree with you that Mac equipment is more expensive, but is it really of higher quality?

Windows is better than GNU/Linux in something?
Unix (which one?) surpasses GNU/Linux in something?
Examples, please.

Mainstream GNU/Linux distros have assloads of glitches? Which?
Prove it.

Should I mention rule nr 8?
-
Greven, I've tried it with WineX from CVS (I think it was 3.0)
ruxvilti'a

linux?

Reply #23
And somehow all of this has to do with foobar. *poof*

Because we all want a Foobar we can run on Linux or MacOS X .

- Agent 86

linux?

Reply #24
I would try WineX but Gentoo will not emerge it.....  I'm still going to play with Wine to see if I can get all the stuff to work.