Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Using lame3995m in CBR mode (Read 3068 times) previous topic - next topic

Using lame3995m in CBR mode

Hi,
I know, halb27's lame extension wasn't made with CBR in mind. And I normally use of its excellent CVBR modes.
But yesterday I tried to encode an audio book; my desired settings were 64 kbps CBR mono (I have to use CBR because my car MP3 player is able to play VBR, but precise resuming to the position where you turned off the radio is not possible).

So I tried this setting in fb2k's converter:
Code: [Select]
-S --noreplaygain --cbr -b 64 -m mono - %d

But when playing with fb2k, I can see the bitrate being variable around 64 kbps (and I have resuming problems w/the car player).
Using standard lame 3.99.5 (without --cbr), 64 kbps are constant and the car player is happy...

Of course I can use both versions of lame, but I'd like to know if there is a problem with halb's version dealing with CBR?

Thanks in advance
.sundance.

Using lame3995m in CBR mode

Reply #2
mp3packer is a good hint!
Maybe it's the source of my "problem": Since lame3995m runs mp3packer to post-process the generated mp3s, this may result in VBR files.
But I guess there is no command line switch do disable this post-processing...

Edit:
Confirmed. After removing mp3packer.exe from lame's dir, the generated mp3s are 64 kbps CBR.
But since there's no way to disable mp3packer in lame, I'm going to use "standard lame" for CBR codings...)
(btw, you can only watch this behaviour with audio book files (or other files with low complexity), where there's some headroom for mp3packer)