Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Microlab Solo 8C Issues (Read 1530 times) previous topic - next topic

Microlab Solo 8C Issues

Hey guys and girls. Was recommended I come here for some help with my speakers from Guru3d.com.

As the title says I have the Microlab Solo 8C and I am having an issue with them starting to cut out on me at higher volumes and bass.

I used to be able to crank these to max volume and bass with no issues. Now it will keep cutting out. They are only about 3/4 years old but are used most days for around 3-4 hours.

Hoping its a fixable issue!

Cheers!

Re: Microlab Solo 8C Issues

Reply #1
It's probably overheating and it's probably got some kind of thermal protection.    Something may have "gone wrong" with the thermal protection or the actual amplifier circuitry or maybe the environment is just warmer and/or you're driving it harder than you used to.

Can you get to the electronics?   You could try adding-to the heatsink(s) but if you drill, of course be careful of getting metal chips into the circuitry. 

Another alternative would be to replace all of the electronics.  You can buy amplifier boards/modules.    You may be able to use the existing power supply and if it has a passive crossover you can use it.   If it's bi-amplified the electronic crossover is probably built-into the amplifiers and you'll have to re-create that.

Or you could just rip-out the electronics, install a passive crossover (if there's not already one) and use it as a passive speaker (with an external amplifier).

Re: Microlab Solo 8C Issues

Reply #2
Hi,
Similar issue on my Solo9C today - appears to be a faulty capacitor in the PSU. Mine just fell off the PCB so I expertly noticed it right away  :D
I will replace both 6800uF 35V Electrolytic caps on this PCB to fix.

Cheerio -  B.