Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Changes to the Vorbis pages on HA Wiki (Read 3151 times) previous topic - next topic

Changes to the Vorbis pages on HA Wiki

After reviewing The Recommended Ogg Vorbis page, I think it's grown quite complex and unwieldy, which I have posted in its talk page.

Now the question is how shall we decompose the page.

Is it possible, and if so, is it wise, to decompose the whole Vorbis collection into e.g. Vorbis:History, Vorbis:Recommended Encoder & Setting, Vorbis:aoTuV, Vorbis:Lancer, etc? In other words, making a Vorbis namespace ala Foobar2000 namespace?

If unwise/unpossible, still that leaves what shall the decomposed pages be named. I move the motion to rename the original page from "Recommended Ogg Vorbis" to "Recommended Vorbis Encoder", the spinoff pages as "Vorbis Vendor Tags", "Advanced Vorbis Encoder", and so on.

Changes to the Vorbis pages on HA Wiki

Reply #1
If unwise/unpossible, still that leaves what shall the decomposed pages be named. I move the motion to rename the original page from "Recommended Ogg Vorbis" to "Recommended Vorbis Encoder", the spinoff pages as "Vorbis Vendor Tags", "Advanced Vorbis Encoder", and so on.

no, no and no. If you can think of a better title to summarize the page then fine. I think with a few exceptions it's clear and precise as it is.  Other guides are fine, however there is a table at the top of page, which makes it easier for people to navigate. When I adapted the page I felt that everything should be as compact as possible. You shouldn't have to read 10,000 pages to find what you are looking for, with some exception cases. This is the beauty of it and it greatly simplifies everyone live. If user John Doe wants to know what vendor tag corresponds with what encoder he clicks on Released Binaries link. If Jane Doe want to know what settings are recommended she clicks on Recommended Encoder Settings. If you remember what happened with last Lame page in the wiki, some folks got their "signs" mixed up and they were simulatanously creating two pages of lame settings under different headings. The wiki still needs a lot of work as it is and not on a lot of "common" articles either. Being a member here who consistently edits it first and foremost in my spare time that's how I feel. Other guides should be written not just Vorbis guides also.
budding I.T professional