Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MP3Gain Target Volume "Range"? (Read 5734 times) previous topic - next topic

MP3Gain Target Volume "Range"?

I've got a collection of ~2000 MP3s and I have recently found MP3Gain.  Looks like it will fix my main problem wiht listening to all of these MP3s.  However, I don't currently have them sorted into folders by album, so adjusting by Album Gain doesn't seem to be an option for me.  I'm trying to figure out an alternative by having a Target Volume "Range" but I don't want to do this manually if I don't have to.  My thought is to set the "Range" for between 89 and 92 db.  This way if an MP3 is quieter than 89 it will adjust to 89 or if it is louder than 92 it will adjust to 92. 

I don't feel the need to have all of my MP3s at the precise same volume, but I would like to shrink the volume spread.

I think I've figured out how to do this by exporting the analysis file and manipulating it with Excel to create a batch file to manually run mp3gain.exe.  However, it would be nice if this were incorporated into the program.

It would also be nice if the program could get the album info from ID3 tags instead of just by directory location.  If it could do this I probably wouldn't need the other feature.

Thanks, Tim

MP3Gain Target Volume "Range"?

Reply #1
I'd suggest using Tag.exe to sort your MP3s into subfolders by album automatically, and then run MP3Gain over them.

Once you've finished, you can use the Windows search function to move all MP3 files back into one directory.