Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: SHN Plugin (Read 3629 times) previous topic - next topic

SHN Plugin

Hi All,

I've got some SHN files to read but I don't want to convert it in Flac because it's long and prefer the original format.

Is there a SHN plugin or a dll to install.

Thanks in advance.

SHN Plugin

Reply #2
Thanks for your help.

Very useful

SHN Plugin

Reply #3
Hi guys,

I'm having trouble with this. I dled and installed foobar, dled the plug-in and copied it to the components folder. when I try to start foobar it says it can't find the shared.dll file (which is visible in the foobar root directory.

I'm running XP

PS: is this the way to hear shn files or is there something easier?

SHN Plugin

Reply #4
Works great for me with 0.9.6.9. Try reinstalling. If it still doesn't work, you could just decode your shorten files to Wav and then encode them to FLAC, with Trader's Little Helper.

Re: SHN Plugin

Reply #5
Folks, let's compile 64-bit version of foo_input_shorten.

Reddit user wrotte on January 2024:
I have 2-3 thousand recordings archived in SHN format from before FLAC became the dominant format.
I do not want to invest the time in converting all of that.
• Join our efforts to make Helix MP3 encoder great again
• Opus complexity & qAAC dependence on Apple is an aberration from Vorbis & Musepack breakthroughs
• Let's pray that D. Bryant improve WavPack hybrid, C. Helmrich update FSLAC, M. van Beurden teach FLAC to handle non-audio data

Reply #6
Necro bumping decade old threads is a new trend.

Reply #7
It doesn't appear to be open source.

So what's easier? Installing 32bit fb2k and the existing component and waiting a short period of time encoding to any modern format of your choice or writing a brand new component from scratch? The latter option is slightly more time consuming and of course it requires you have the skills...

Reply #8
It doesn't appear to be open source.
The decoder page lists the email address of a certain Holger Stenger. I've just written a letter asking him to share the source. He hasn't updated the page since 2008 and may well not respond, but it's worth a shot, can't hurt to try.

Necro bumping decade old threads is a new trend.
It looks like you are confusing the issue tracker and the forum. Tasks of the former are meant be archived and even forgotten after solving, whereas topics of the latter are meant to accumulate and refine the knowledge in order to build upon and to enlighten the next generations. Therefore, I tend, if possible, not to create duplicates if my commentary is related to a previously created topic. It is a misconception to think that if there are no messages in the topic for a long time, then it has exhausted itself — Da Vinci passed away more than 500 years ago, yet scholars still consider his legacy worthy of discussion, although the gaps between discussions (e.g. published works) can be decades. No doubt, there is a fellow grump out there as well, who may not notice this and channel his energy in a creative way instead, but notices and is outraged: “Why do you necrobump Da Vinci? Let him requiescat in pace… Oh, I've just necrobumped Latin.”
• Join our efforts to make Helix MP3 encoder great again
• Opus complexity & qAAC dependence on Apple is an aberration from Vorbis & Musepack breakthroughs
• Let's pray that D. Bryant improve WavPack hybrid, C. Helmrich update FSLAC, M. van Beurden teach FLAC to handle non-audio data

Reply #9
In 64 bit fb2k you can play Shorten files with foo_input_ffmpeg.