Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Resampler plugin (Read 487725 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Resampler plugin

Reply #200
Sorry for asking a really dumb question but I am not very familiar with Foobar or the Sox plugin. I want to downsample 96000 24-bit to 44100 16-bit, using Foobar's convert function and the Sox plugin installed. When I click on convert and try to configure SoX I can set the sample rate to 44100, but I cannot see any way of setting the bit-length. Whatever I do the end-result is always a 44100 file with 24-bit which my Sonos streamer refuses to play. What am I doing wrong?

Reply #201
This is a resampler (= sample rate conversion) plugin. Check the options for the output plugin you're using to adjust the bit-depth used to output to your sound card / DAC.
"I hear it when I see it."

Reply #202
Hello lvqcl, thank you very much for this great plugin, I use it everyday in my liquid music system.
Do you plan to release a modified version for 0.7.0 too? I'd like to do a selective resample as in 0.6.0.

Ciao

Andrea

Reply #203
Since there's no difference between 0.6.0 'Very high' and 0.7.0 'Best' and most people use this resampler in 'Very high' mode, I don't think there is much point in doing this.

Reply #204
Since there's no difference between 0.6.0 'Very high' and 0.7.0 'Best' and most people use this resampler in 'Very high' mode, I don't think there is much point in doing this.

Thank you for your quick reply. The only thing it matters to me is the quality, so if there's no difference between between 0.6.0 'Very high' (the one I use) and 0.7.0 'Best' I don't need to upgrade.
I'm happy for having discovered the mod version, I was missing the possibility to do selective resampling.

Ciao

Andrea

Reply #205
RE: Sox 0.7.0 settings for 24bit resampling

I'm trying to figure out how to set up the SoX/foobar2000 plugin for resampling 96/24 audio to 44/24 audio. For 16bit audio, these are my settings:

Quality: Normal
Passband: 95%
Allow Aliasing: Yes
Phase Response: 50% Linear
Dithering: Yes
Output: 16bit

Now for 24bit, obviously, the output has to be changed, dithering has to be shut off, and Quality should be left at the default (Good) or upgraded to the highst setting (Best). The question is whether the Passband , Allow Aliasing and Phase Response setting should be tweaked, or left alone. Any suggestions?

Reply #206
Anybody?

Reply #207
Version 0.7.5 was released. See post #13.

Reply #208
Any chance releasing further mod version?

Reply #209
Probably when that expreimental code will be released officially.

Reply #211
problem reporting :

I had used foobar in year 2004~2005....now I am returning back to the field of pc-fi ing.

anyways, I recently installed Foobar v 1.1.8 (the newest version)

and also tried to install the SOX resampler - foo_dsp_resampler v 0.7.0 , 0.7.5, 0.6.0 .

I have found out that none of these versions work on my foobar....when I open up the *.zip files that are uploaded on http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....7373&hl=sox

I end up with files named "foo_dsp_resampler_0.7.0" .  with no *.dll extension.

Of course Foobar won't recognize it as a plugin......So I manually added the ".dll " extension, but Foobar now shows message that it had "Failed to Load foo_dsp_resampler....Unsupported File format or corrupted files."

So I tried the 0.6.0 version. Same.

So I tried the 0.7.5 version. Now the file included in the *.zip file is named "Noname" with no extension. Of course, doesn't work.

I became really frustrated, so I tried uninstalling everything and installed Foobar v 1.1.7. Still no luck.

So I ended up trying 0.6.0 Mod version. Finally, it WORKS!!

I am currently using a DELL laptop with Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64bit.

I am really curious why I wasn't able to use the recent 0.7.0 or 0.7.5 versions and had to end up with 0.6.0 modded version....

Any ideas?

Reply #213
I end up with files named "foo_dsp_resampler_0.7.0" . with no *.dll extension.

Of course Foobar won't recognize it as a plugin......So I manually added the ".dll " extension

Try to add ".zip" extension to the file, not ".dll". Or use some other program to download files.

Reply #215
Hello, and thank you for all your hard work on this plugin.  I've been using r8brain to resample hi-res files for my Squeezebox Duet, which only supports a maximum of 48kHz.  I'm anxious to hear the improvement!

I hope you won't mind a couple of questions.  My Cambridge Audio DacMagic has selectable filters, including minimum phase and linear phase.  Do you think one or the other would be better, depending on the phase response setting I use in the resampler?  For example, if I select the minimum phase setting in the resampler, should I also select the minimum phase setting on my DAC?  Or would it be better to mix the two, resampling with the minimum phase setting and playing back with the linear phase setting on my DAC?  Or vice versa?

I do plan to try several combinations and listen, but I wondered if there was a theoretical "best" combination of encoding and decoding filters.

Thank you very much for your time,

Bert Dwyer

Reply #218
Thanks!

Reply #219
RE: Sox 0.7.0 settings for 24bit resampling

I'm trying to figure out how to set up the SoX/foobar2000 plugin for resampling 96/24 audio to 44/24 audio. For 16bit audio, these are my settings:

Quality: Normal
Passband: 95%
Allow Aliasing: Yes
Phase Response: 50% Linear
Dithering: Yes
Output: 16bit

Now for 24bit, obviously, the output has to be changed, dithering has to be shut off, and Quality should be left at the default (Good) or upgraded to the highst setting (Best). The question is whether the Passband , Allow Aliasing and Phase Response setting should be tweaked, or left alone. Any suggestions?

One question which always confuses me:

What is the dependency between Allow aliasing (in the SoX-DSP-dialog window) and Dither (in the Output-panel of the foobar-converter dialog)? Is aliasing the same as dither?

or with a more precise question: what are the best settings for downsampling from a 24 bit sorce to a 16 bit target concerning these two settings?

a) Allow aliasing = yes and Dither (in the output-panel of foobar converter) = yes
b) Allow aliasing = yes and Dither (in the output-panel of foobar converter) = no
c) Allow aliasing = no and Dither (in the output-panel of foobar converter) = yes
d) Allow aliasing = no and Dither (in the output-panel of foobar converter) = no

Thanks a lot for your help!

BTW: great plugin - many thanks to the developer!

Reply #220
What is the dependency between Allow aliasing (in the SoX-DSP-dialog window) and Dither (in the Output-panel of the foobar-converter dialog)? Is aliasing the same as dither?

No, dither is used with quantization, i.e. 24 bit to 16 bit changes. Since 24 bit numbers don't fit in 16 bit there will be quantization errors. Dither adds noise to randomize those errors. Additional shaping may be used to shape that noise in such a way to make it less audible.

This is a resampler plugin and therefore changes the sample rate, not the resolution/bits per sample. Aliasing occurs if you change the sample rate and don't filter out all the stuff above half of the sampling rate.

There's no dependency between the two. If you just convert from 24 bit to 16 bit you don't need a resampler at all.

Reply #221

No, dither is used with quantization, i.e. 24 bit to 16 bit changes. Since 24 bit numbers don't fit in 16 bit there will be quantization errors. Dither adds noise to randomize those errors. Additional shaping may be used to shape that noise in such a way to make it less audible.

This is a resampler plugin and therefore changes the sample rate, not the resolution/bits per sample. Aliasing occurs if you change the sample rate and don't filter out all the stuff above half of the sampling rate.

There's no dependency between the two. If you just convert from 24 bit to 16 bit you don't need a resampler at all.

this was misunderstandable... i meant resampling from 24/96 to 16/44.1 for example...

so which settings would recommend for such a scenario?

Thanks!

Reply #222
An example of 96 -> 44 resampling (from http://src.infinitewave.ca/ )

Without aliasing:

With aliasing:

It's a matter of taste IMHO.

OTOH, dithering should be enabled.

Reply #223
sorry for maybe dump questions: what is the sonic difference between these two pictures?
for me the aliasing looks strange but maybe there are some advantages for my ears??

Reply #224
Unless you can hear above 20 kHz there shouldn't be any difference. With aliasing the filter is not as steep -> less ringing, but since the ringing is above 20 kHz it shouldn't be audible.

I'm saying "shouldn't" because everyone should do an ABX test to see if there really is no audible difference.