Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: .m4a not recognized; how to convert to image+cue, burn audio CDs (Read 5147 times) previous topic - next topic

.m4a not recognized; how to convert to image+cue, burn audio CDs

What has happened to Foobar? I have installed the latest version of foobar in order to convert m4a files to something more useful and downloaded the correct dll. That does not work Foobar has no idea what m4a  files are - and YES I have Foobar as the player for m4a files in preferences. And where is "convert to Album image with cue sheet etc" . Where is write audio CD option available in older versions - and YES I have foo-burnrite.dll and NERO installed as before. It seems like a realy usefull sofware has more wizz and bang and much less functionality. It is too confusing for less techie types. I am very disapointed. Thank god I kept an old version available which still does what I need it to do.

Reply #1
It's good that your previous version does all that you need.
Regarding your questions, all have been answered many times.
Try a search or if you prefer, try to drop the attitude and ask a one question per topic and I am sure you will find the help you need.

terry

Reply #2
Please just one question per topic.

Maybe the m4a are copy protected. Foobar2000 can't convert those files. M4a without copy protection should be converted.

Reply #3
What has happened to Foobar? I have installed the latest version of foobar in order to convert m4a files to something more useful and downloaded the correct dll. That does not work Foobar has no idea what m4a  files are.
People have no idea what m4a is. Yourself included, apparently.

Is it [acronym title='Advanced audio codec']AAC[/acronym] in an mp4 container (which foobar supports by default), or is it [acronym title='Apple Lossless Audio Codec']ALAC[/acronym] in an mp4 container, which foobar has always needed an optional component to play/read/convert?
And where is "convert to Album image with cue sheet etc" .
It's now part of the converter.
Where is write audio CD option available in older versions and YES I have foo-burninate.dll[fixed] and NERO installed as before.
context menu, like it's always been...
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #4
That does not work Foobar has no idea what m4a files are - and YES I have Foobar as the player for m4a files in preferences.

It would be helpful if you could quote the exact error message.

Your .m4a files might contain Apple Lossless audio.
If that is the case, you need the additional ALAC decoding component.

This has been integrated into the converter setup dialog (right-click, Convert), and is called "generate multi-track files" now.

Where is write audio CD option available in older versions

You might have to add the "Write Audio CD" command manually at Preferences, Display, Context Menu.

Reply #5
Yes I have searched for the anawers and found them but none of them work. the simple truth is that Foobar was easy to use and very simple. It is now far more complicated, and I the only reson for this is to suit folk who like tinkering. A great deal of easy functionality has been sacrificed to no good effect. I only have one life - I could spend days asking all the questions one at a time. Foobar was plain great - now it is on it's wat to being plain useless.

Try a search or if you prefer, try to drop the attitude and ask a one question per topic and I am sure you will find the help you need.

terry

Reply #6
I have the ALAC decoding component - does not work.

So why change the Write Audio CD option into something more complicated which I cannot even begin to understand - it was simple - now it is complicated - why?

What has happened to Foobar? I have installed the latest version of foobar in order to convert m4a files to something more useful and downloaded the correct dll. That does not work Foobar has no idea what m4a  files are.
People have know idea what m4a is. Yourself included, apparently.

Is it [acronym title='Advanced audio codec']AAC[/acronym] in an mp4 container (which foobar supports by default), or is it [acronym title='Apple Lossless Audio Codec']ALAC[/acronym] in an mp4 container, which foobar has always needed an optional component to play/read/convert?
It's now part of the converter.
Where is write audio CD option available in older versions and YES I have foo-burninate.dll[fixed] and NERO installed as before.
context menu, like it's always been...

Reply #7
Not protected!

terry

Reply #8
Not protected!
So do you want us to keep blindly guessing or are you going to provide us with the exact error message as frank has suggested?
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #9
Criticizing and complaining with a bad attitude is the best way to get problems solved!

Don't let the door hit you on your way out, Alex.