Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Standalone UPNP Audio Renderer (Read 5414 times) previous topic - next topic

Standalone UPNP Audio Renderer

Requirements:

* < 200 EUR
* Accepts at least 96/24, 88/24 a plus
* Wav, FLAC, MP3
* Passive design, no fans
* SPDIF or HDMI out
* Works flawless and reliable with BubbleUPNP, foo_upnp and other quality implementations.
* Gapless a plus

Does it exist? I’m probably looking for something like this, but at a reasonable price tag.

Reply #1
A netbook PC with the right software?

Reply #2
That's what I'm trying to replace. I was hoping for something self-contained that just plain works as soon as power is available.

Yes, if the Bios allows, you can configure a Laptop to boot as soon as AC power is available and have some script that will initiate a shutdown once the other gear shuts down.

Then the question is what the right software is? FB2K? Yes, I can configure it to run on start-up. Still it’s an interactive application that at some point will display a dialog on a meant-to-be-headless machine that someone will need to click away. XBMC? Yes, I’m using OpenELEC on a Raspberry PI. Same issue, it’s not really meant to be used headless and (at last for me) has stability issues.

I’m looking for a component that will work at my parents place without intervention. No emergency RDP sessions, no monthly patch day, no forced reboots for some reason or another, no maintenance. OpenELEC is probably rather close to that.

If there would be an UPNP audio renderer implemented as a plain Windows Service, maybe. But anything else is just asking for trouble in the long run.

Guess I’m just getting slightly annoyed with the amount of devices in my life that need constant attention, patches, maintenance, babysitting and firmware flashes and still fail to work as advertised.

Actually the whole reason I need an external renderer is that the UPNP stack of the TX-8050 is rather buggy. To the point that it completely locks up and requires a hard power cycle.

Basically I’m aiming for a setup like this this: Just stable, without hacking and maintenance. I'm getting old, I want stuff that works

Reply #4
Hi Spoon,

quick questions:

Does Asset support FB2K style embedded CUE sheets?

Is the stream/audio capture feature bit-perfect and does it work only with DS or with WASAPI as well?

Thank you.

Reply #5
I have a Pioneer BDP-150 which has most DLNA/uPnP functions, but it is not gapless, has no volume control and doesn't support seeking trough uPnP, only with the player remote. It does support FLAC and MP3 tough.

What about an Android mediaplayer? There are some really nice uPnP/DLNA apps out there.
Music: sounds arranged such that they construct feelings.

Reply #6
Impressive – Asset Control is capable of pointing the TX-8050 to different UPNP Servers without manual intervention on the receiver itself. Both foo_upnp and BubbleUPNP throw “703 Transport Locked” or similar. What is the trick here? Guess I have to take a closer look at your recent products

Reply #7
>Does Asset support FB2K style embedded CUE sheets?

No

>Is the stream/audio capture feature bit-perfect and does it work only with DS or with WASAPI as well?

If outputting as wave it has bit perfect capture, WASAPI is the method use to capture, it will play back on any upnp player..

Reply #8
Checkout the mede8er 600x3d http://www.mede8er.com/mede8er_product_med600x3d.html

I think it does all you ask but not gapless playback, but what hardware player/renderer does? but its on the forum wish list but may never happen, who knows. fwiw i have one and can probably test something if you want.

i use serviio as my dlna server, but tbh i usually just browse my favorites over nfs from the nas.