Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Any component to display automatic queries in a panel? (Read 4890 times) previous topic - next topic

Any component to display automatic queries in a panel?

Hi:
I'm using foobar 0.9.5.2
Using the wonderful playlist tree component by Christopher Bowron, I've configured it to show a panel with automatic queries that displays songs with the same title as the one playing (among other auto-queries).
As much as I'd love to upgrade to the new version, I won't do it if it means that I'll loose this functionality.
I don't care about other small incompatibilities between components, but this one would be a BIG problem for me.
So I'm asking you if anyone knows a procedure / component by which I could do the same with 9.5.3 without having to use playlist tree (to avoid the incredibly annoying start banner)... a panel with automatic pre-configured queries, that updates everytime a track change is detected.
Thanks a lot. 

Reply #1
You can create hundreds of autoquery playlists, but the one showing all titles of the now playing song is not possible.

I used playlist tree before too, but switched to an official component foobar only. And I can live without playlist tree. Some other advanced stuff isn't possible also, like querying on childnodes for example...

For finding all titles similar of the now playing song you can bind a keyboard shortcut to it and fill a playlist with pressing it. That's even easier...

Maybe you should post some querys you do with playlist tree here (the ones you really want to have) and then maybe someone can come up with a query for the default UI that does (almost) the same and/or fits your needs.

Reply #2
Oh thanks!
But then... (please correct me if I'm wrong) even supossing that I could do whatever query I'd need using autoplaylists... I couldn't have two different playlists showing on different panels at the same time, could I?
(I mean... my now playing playlists and that with the query results)
Afaik you can't see more than 1 playlist at the same time, (different playlists) that's why I was using a panel (playlist tree) for my queries.
As I am right now, I use a "now playling" playlist and other miscelaneous info panels at the same time.
Or has this changed in 9.5.3?

Reply #3
Well, more panels in one screen can be done. 2 playlist views aren't possible, that is correct.

But you can install Facets in default UI, and that is highly configurable through titleformatting, and you can install multiple instances of facets in one layout (through tabs). Facets is now my playlist tree sort of.

I have 5 panels of 4 facets:
folder artist album tracks
genre artist album tracks
year artist album tracks
added artist album tracks

This is what I made playlist tree query before i used default ui only.
Facets will suit your needs trust me. Try it with a portable foobar so it won't  mess up your current install.  And configuring it also is a lot easier then the syntaxes playlist tree required. And its faster, a lot faster.
And you can make facet update in its own playlist, not the now playing one.

Reply #4
I wouldn't mind seeing this functionality available in an official component.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #5
me, too.

Reply #6
Till then we all can right click the statusbar wich represents the now playing song and use the "search for same"-functionality of foosions database search. 

Reply #7
The things I like in Playlist tree are
- the opportunity to have different Playlist in a tree sothat you can see which bands you have put in the playlist. You have to scroll through the playlist otherwise or must do a search. So in the playlist tree you can see it.
By the way it would be cool to have something in addition to Album List.
- To have also automatic queries.

Reply #8
The most important are nested playlists and playlist folders. Right now i have to use playlist named ------AUTO------ in order to split various types of playlists. But I hope some1 will take over playlist tree when SDK will come out (if will come out ;p) and develop it to something usable (scheme playlists and configuration of tree is kinda hard).

Reply #9
what about doings things like creating a forced-length playlist...playlist tree allowed you to limit the time of a query so yo could do things like create a random half-hour of music from a certain genre or artist or whatever else you wanted...

Reply #10
what about doings things like creating a forced-length playlist...playlist tree allowed you to limit the time of a query so yo could do things like create a random half-hour of music from a certain genre or artist or whatever else you wanted...

I'll really miss this feature. Very convenient for filling a portable device.

Reply #11

I'll really miss this feature. Very convenient for filling a portable device.

obviously it's not as nice as having it all automated but you could enter the query you want into facets/search/albumlist/whatever then sort by $rand() then take the first x amount of entries that bring it in under the time that you want.
Ignorance is bliss.