Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar hangs when I accidentally start playing a playlist with dead items. (Read 796 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar hangs when I accidentally start playing a playlist with dead items.

Hi!

This used to be a problem several years back. And for a while now it is again.

So when playback doesn't just stop (Random playback, repeat playlist) and probably just when there's a long enough playlist with dead items, foobar starts opening files like crazy. This makes the UI completely unresponsive. After a few seconds Foobar completely hangs. I can only kill its process.

The workaround previously was to add a delay after failing to open a dead item. But apparently that was removed some time ago.

Re: Foobar hangs when I accidentally start playing a playlist with dead items.

Reply #1
Nothing has been removed. Another person complained about the same issue a few days back. What kind of setups do you people run to suffer from the problem? Some very resource heavy javascript based playlists perhaps? I don't lose UI responsiveness even if I run DSPs that remove the silence that foobar2000 plays for missing tracks.

Re: Foobar hangs when I accidentally start playing a playlist with dead items.

Reply #2
Nothing has been removed. Another person complained about the same issue a few days back. What kind of setups do you people run to suffer from the problem? Some very resource heavy javascript based playlists perhaps? I don't lose UI responsiveness even if I run DSPs that remove the silence that foobar2000 plays for missing tracks.

There doesn't seem to be a second of silence anymore. (for whatever reason) Playback seems to jump as fast as it can. I don't know what's a javascript based playlist. I have a normal ColumnsUI playlist.

Removing skip silence also helps with the issue. But I've been using that for a long time. It feels rather unlikely that the hangs would only happen relatively recently. (some months)

Regardless, I agree with Xerus. Skip silence should have some safety feature. A stop at an error checkbox at least.