Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Need to decide on a hdd player (Read 2210 times) previous topic - next topic

Need to decide on a hdd player

I've been looking at Hard Drive MP3 market for a while and now I just want to go pick one at my local Future Shop (I live in Canada).

In-store options:
1. RCA RCA Lyra RD2854 40GB 500$CAD (Haven't heard much of it)
2. I-River IHP-120 500$CAD
3. Creative Zen Xtra 30GB 380$CAD (I've heard it's flimsy)
4. Apple 4th Gen 20GB 430$CAD

Online Store:
5. There's the Rio Karma (450$CAD) on the online store. It looks like it has some great features including gapless playback but I dont trust its hard drive and with a 2-year service plan its price would be 520$CAD

I think ideally the Rio Karma would suit me the best (especially with Gapless) but I don't want to have to deal with getting it replaced or anything because of a crappy HD. The I-pod and Creative both have good playlist functions but I've heard bad things about both. The I-River looks cool but supposedly the support (firmware and communication) has been terrible, not to mention it hasn't got great playlist features or OGG gapless playback which is stupid. The Lyra has had zero reviews or tests, I'd like to hear from someone about it.

So if you could please post me your best suggestion out of these 5 I'd greatly appreciate it and if any Canadian users have had experience with the Karma, I'd like to know.

Reply #1
Ive had 7 or 8 different mp3 players, 6 of them being HDD players.  The Karma was by far the best of them.  It is easy to use, and is good at sorting songs.  I now use the iHP 120.  I like it, but it can be a pain to get used to the menu system and such.  And the screen is a little smaller than the Karma.  I had a very bad time with both of my iPods, one's battery stopped holding a charge while the other's firmware was cutting my songs in half, skipping songs and such.

Reply #2
One thing that stopped my from buying a Karma (besides the lack of recording functionality) was the fact that it wasn't usable as a USB mass storage device.
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #3
I have an iHP-120 and am very happy with it, minus lack of gapless playback.  I never really had any problems with the menus personally.  Major selling point of it for me was Ogg Vorbis decoding, which isn't applicable to everyone.
Nero AAC 1.5.1.0: -q0.45

Reply #4
something you may want to concider about the iRiver is the sound it makes..not through the headphones, but when you depress the center joystick it makes a rather loud clack.  I use my player in planes and cars and such..and im sure the "clack" noise bothers people, but not much..just something to mention.  To get around it, i use the remote, which is the best remote ive ever used on an mp3 player.  The screen is very high rez and it is easier in my opinion to navagate using the remote than the player itself.  The reason i loved the Karma is it really fits in your hand well, and the controls are in all of the right places, navagation is similar to the iPod, but i think its even easier, and the device actually looks pretty nice.  The Karma does not include a case, and this is a reason i like the iRiver, the case is padded and allows access to all of the controls and even lets you charge it.  Mine stays in its case most of the time.

In any case, i hope you enjoy your new mp3 player.  If you want to know anything else about the iRiver, Zen (i owned one of those too), Karma, or iPod just email me at Kev50027@insightbb.com