Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: best android phone for listening music with external memory support upto 500 gb (Read 14185 times) previous topic - next topic

best android phone for listening music with external memory support upto 500 gb

Hi I am Rupesh from India. I have music files upto 250 gb and so I am searching for best android phone to listen music. I am also searching for phone with memory card support upto 500 gb and greater.

Actually I love to listen music and so is there any android phone which provides rich experience in listening music and at the same time which has support upto 500 gb and greater.

I have some music files in opus format which are speeches and I have listened these in some Android mobiles like HTC, Motorola, redmi etc., and by listening some mobile's provided noise and I was unable to hear the speeches properly while others produced output from earphones with quality.

I am asking which is the best android phone which does best in processes like noise cancellation, volume normalization, replaygain, equalizer etc.,.

As I am not a photographer I am not bothered about camara and it's quality. What I am expecting is an android mobile at lowest cost and which provides high and rich quality while listening to music and at the same time external memory card support upto 500 gb and greater.

Is there any android mobile which has special processing unit for audio like there is separate processing unit for graphics ie., gpu.

Someone suggested to examine hi-fi audio, hi res audio etc., and I have examined those.

At present I have reviewed the phones zte axon 7,xiomi redmi note 4, which has separate processing unit for audio and alcatel idol 4s.

I have reviewed the features of alcatel idol 4s and I have decided it is perfectly suitable to me and it comes at reasonable price.

Alcatel idol 4s has virtual reality feature as in Samsung Galaxy s6 edge, 512 GB external memory card support and has lot of features regarding audio but I have one doubt ie., does alcatel idol 4s has separate processing unit for audio as zte axon 7 has.

I think that alcatel is a Chinese company and so can I think that it doesn't work for lifetime atleast for 10 years without any problems.

Regards,
Rupesh.
Regards,
Rupesh.

Re: best android phone for listening music with external memory support upto 500 gb

Reply #1
I have assumed some qualifications for good music phone but please try to suggest your ideas regarding good phone for music at lowest price.
Regards,
Rupesh.

Re: best android phone for listening music with external memory support upto 500 gb

Reply #2
512 GB microsd cards don't exist yet, so you're limited to 256 GB as far as I know.

Aside from that, any device with an SD card slot should be fairly similar.

Reply #3
512 GB microsd cards don't exist yet, so you're limited to 256 GB as far as I know.

There are SDXC memory cards of 512GB available. Not micro!

@rupeshforu3
I agree with saratoga, unless the phone is broken by design all phones should be similar. Some of the features you request can be done by the software you use for playback. This is not a forum where people blow smoke describing superlative (non-existent) differences between different playback equipment based on biased and biased evaluations. Your best bet is to look for RMAA measurements of a device. Good luck in your search.
daefeatures.co.uk

Reply #4
I'm sorry, but this has to be one of the silliest requirements I've ever seen placed on a phone.

Rupesh, have you ever conducted an ABX test?

Reply #5

I also know that 500 GB memory card doesn't exist but I think that in the future it may exist and at that time I need to buy another phone in order to insert that memory card.

At present please suggest a good phone which provides rich experience while listening to music and the memory card support limited to 128 GB.

I need a good phone which provides rich experience while listening to music and external memory support is not an issue. Please review the terms hi-fi audio, hi res audio.
Regards,
Rupesh.

Reply #6
I think that alcatel idol 4s has all the features like octa core processor, hi-fi audio, 3 GB RAM, 32 GB internal memory, 512 GB external memory card support etc., especially there are number of features listed under audio sub system.So I think that there is no need to buy a new phone upto ten years

I am asking whether alcatel idol 4s is a duplicate or fake product I mean I have seen some Chinese products like external speakers which resulted in circuit board failure. Someone also suggested that zte and alcatel are both Chinese products and so there is no chance of getting a life span of 10 years.

If I use the alcatel idol 4 with care are there any chances of getting failures.
Regards,
Rupesh.

Reply #7
While smartphones can have pretty good RMAA measurements, they don't necessarily have powerful enough output to drive your favourite headphones, especially when compared with dedicated portable media players.

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Best-smartphones-for-music-2014-edition_id56292

Also, like many other "smart" devices, even if they don't fail, they will easily become outdated. If I were you, I'd consider buying 2 or 3 cheaper phones over 10 years instead of buying one damn expensive hi-end one and wishfully expect it can last for 10 years, in terms of hardware longevity, software and accessories (e.g. battery)  support.

About reliability of Chinese products, even if the brand itself is not from China, many internal parts are still made in China. Just make sure what you buy are not counterfeit products and it should be safe. Of course there are always exceptions, like the Samsung ones.

Reply #8
While smartphones can have pretty good RMAA measurements, they don't necessarily have powerful enough output to drive your favourite headphones, especially when compared with dedicated portable media players.

The counterpoint is that loudness really only an realistic measurement if measured in dB's,  for which I will give the following reference a gigantic "fail":

Once we get those measurements properly expressed in dB, we find that there a few show-stopping differences, especially if we realize that a subjective doubling of loudness requires a 10 dB change.

The big outlier is the HTC One (M8) with a whopping V(out) = 1.28 volts of 2.14 dBV
The iPhone is high =1.00 volts or 0.0 dBV
My eyeball average phones are like the Nokia and Samsungs around 0.5  volts or -6 dB
The low ball is the Sony Xperia Z1 at 0.29 volts or -10.8 dB

I would expect that it takes  an approximate 3 dB difference to make a difference that you would reliably notice in a casual evaluation.

I have a Samsung S5 and my old, chemotherapy-damaged  ears tell me to be sure to pick some of  my more efficient earphones if I want an enjoyable experience. I feel that I can do that without loosing sound quality, especially if I use a little software product called Neutralizer to set Android's built-in octave eq.

Going from the Sony to the HTC could be a bit mind-blowing.

Also, like many other "smart" devices, even if they don't fail, they will easily become outdated. If I were you, I'd consider buying 2 or 3 cheaper phones over 10 years instead of buying one damn expensive hi-end one and wishfully expect it can last for 10 years, in terms of hardware longevity, software and accessories (e.g. battery)  support.

If the phone is running Android 5.1 , it will probably be able to run the vast majority of current software. If older than that, you may find things that you want to run, but won't run on your phone. 

It seems like 2 years from date of introduction is about as much support for OS upgrades that you can expect. With really cheap stuff, what you got is what you get. Forever, unless you are a software guru who can roll their own hardware-customized software packages. Android ain't Windows in many ways, and software updates is just  one of them.

About reliability of Chinese products, even if the brand itself is not from China, many internal parts are still made in China. Just make sure what you buy are not counterfeit products and it should be safe. Of course there are always exceptions, like the Samsung ones.

I'd say that if you are worried about gear with Chinese content or assembly, move to a different planet if not solar system. IME it is that endemic.

Reply #9

I also know that 500 GB memory card doesn't exist but I think that in the future it may exist and at that time I need to buy another phone in order to insert that memory card.

Every Android phone with a microsd card slot ever made will support up to the maximum size allowed by the standard, which is 2TB.

Reply #10

The loudest device on that test is only about 7 db  louder than the average device, which is very little. The conclusion from that article should probably be that there is very little difference between devices.

Reply #11
Please review the terms hi-fi audio, hi res audio.
Please review the term placebo effect.

Reply #12

The loudest device on that test is only about 7 db  louder than the average device, which is very little. The conclusion from that article should probably be that there is very little difference between devices.
As what you quoted, the link was used to compare average smartphone output voltage with dedicated portable players, like those from FiiO, my intent was not providing a "buying guide". That was an old 2014 article anyway.

Click the AUDIO OUTPUT section and search through their database, That HTC (M8) is already the loudest one I can find. Most others are something like 0.3-0.6 vrms.
https://www.phonearena.com/phones/HTC-One-M8_id8242/benchmarks

Also, even hi-end phones won't last for 10 years, 5-year is also questionable. Jelly Bean is already "unsupported".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history

Yeah the device itself should still be usable, just no app, OS or security update. But why don't just buy a cheaper, louder, smaller, more power efficient portable media player in the first place?

I remained silent after Arnold's reply but it seems that everyone misinterpreted my previous post.

Reply #13

Lots of new high end phones like most Samsung phones after the S5 lack the internal slot.

Tthey all have USB slots and you can plug lots of very high capacity storage media into those.  Just make sure you deal with OTG.

The limits I'm familiar with relate to the largest formatted partitions that are supports and largest number of songs.

That depends on which release of Android, what add-on software you have, etc. 

IME music players can become awkward to use if you have too many files.

Reply #14

As what you quoted, the link was used to compare average smartphone output voltage with dedicated portable players, like those from FiiO, my intent was not providing a "buying guide". That was an old 2014 article anyway.

Click the AUDIO OUTPUT section and search through their database, That HTC (M8) is already the loudest one I can find. Most others are something like 0.3-0.6 vrms.
https://www.phonearena.com/phones/HTC-One-M8_id8242/benchmarks

Also, even hi-end phones won't last for 10 years, 5-year is also questionable. Jelly Bean is already "unsupported".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history

Yeah the device itself should still be usable, just no app, OS or security update. But why don't just buy a cheaper, louder, smaller, more power efficient portable media player in the first place?

I remained silent after Arnold's reply but it seems that everyone misinterpreted my previous post.

What is the output of your fiio player then?

Regarding dedicated players,  while I am obviously a big fan of many classic devices, the current crop of portables tends to be very limited and have poor battery life. For many people a smartphone is a better option.

Reply #15
How about one of their cheaper (not the loudest) product?
http://www.fiio.net/en/products/57/parameters
Battery life for smartphones can be long or short, depends on user behaviour, doing nothing but play music will have longer battery life for sure.

Reply #16
At present when I view the price of alcatel idol 4s some sites are showing 16000 INR and some 24000 INR and some 32000 INR.

Xiomi redmi note 5 64 GB has 64 GB internal memory, octa core processor, separate processing unit for audio and provides 128 GB external memory card support.It comes at reasonable price.

Does redmi note 5 provide atleast medium experience while listening to music.
Regards,
Rupesh.

Reply #18
Medium experience? a phone that can communicate with the dead?

Reply #19
Medium experience? a phone that can communicate with the dead?
Best post in the entire discussion; by far.

Reply #20
John Edwards limited edition Galaxy S7?
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #21
Thanks to all the members that attempted to help the OP.  Not sure why we needed so much cynicism, but oh well.
JXL

P.S.  Get a Samsung or any current phone with Android and a microSD and you should be just fine.  Finding the best media player and setting up your playlists will take some effort though.

Reply #22
Not sure why we needed so much cynicism, but oh well.
Dunno, TOS8 and contempt for deceptive marketing tactics that foment placebohila as a means to generate revenue, maybe?

..then there are the poor deluded chumps who buy into it.

Reply #23

There are SDXC memory cards of 512GB available. Not micro!

@rupeshforu3
Your best bet is to look for RMAA measurements of a device. Good luck in your search.

Actually its super easy, GSMarena does RMAA testing of their smartphone reviews, including testing with a pair of headphones as load. Thanks to that I for example found that the Axon 7 has a high output impedance, as seen here:
http://cdn.gsmarena.com/imgroot/reviews/16/zte-axon-7/aq/gsmarena_a001.png

About +0.7 dB at 50 Hz, to give a perspective, the Sony Xperia XA Ultra which has a 30 Ohm Zout (Zout measured by seeko) only had a 0.5 dB Eq there.

http://cdn.gsmarena.com/imgroot/reviews/16/sony-xperia-xa-ultra/aq/gsmarena_a001.png
https://www.seeko.co.kr/zboard4/zboard.php?id=m_device&page=1&sn1=&divpage=1&sn=off&ss=on&sc=off&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=79

How about one of their cheaper (not the loudest) product?
http://www.fiio.net/en/products/57/parameters
Battery life for smartphones can be long or short, depends on user behaviour, doing nothing but play music will have longer battery life for sure.

You can get an Xduoo X3 for less: http://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/amp/xduoo-x3.php

Reply #24
Medium experience, what does that mean?

Previously I have used Sony Xperia live with walkman ie., Sony Xperia wt 19i and I have never such a device I mean it provided rich experience while listening to music via headphones or through external speakers. After that I have used Sony Xperia Z1 and it's audio quality was good but at very low volume.

I have used Celkon a20 and it's sound quality was very worse and I got noise while listening to music of high quality. I have even used xiomi redmi h1s and it's audio quality was also not good and it provided audio at very low volume.

Upon reviewing a number of products I think that if I want very high quality sound I must purchase Samsung Galaxy s8 edge, LG g6, HTC U11 etc.,.

Medium experience I mean sound without low volume, noise etc., but without features like hi-fi etc.,.
Regards,
Rupesh.