Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Requesting advice on powered monitors for second system (Read 6043 times) previous topic - next topic

Requesting advice on powered monitors for second system

Hi,

I am going to buy some powered speakers for a second system in a modestly sized room ~15x20'. Digital sources will be either a portable player (Fiio, with line output) or a laptop with DAC--FLAC files all around. I listen mostly to classical and jazz and hate exaggerated bass. I listen to a lot of pipe organ music, and usually leave much of that to my Vandersteen 2Ces or Sennheisers. But I do want this system to have decent bass extension. The three speaker sets I'm considering below have optional subwoofers in the $300-$400 range. I will likely get one later.

The JBL 308s are the most reasonably priced at 250$ each, and seem to have pretty good bass extension (37 Hz), but use class D amplifiers (not sure how much this actually matters for such an application):
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/998215-REG/jbl_lsr308_sr308_8_2_way_powered.html

The Emotivas 6s get really good reviews and look quite well built:
http://emotiva.com/products/powered-monitors/speakers/airmotiv-6s

The Audioengine HD6 are highly regarded in the audiophile press, and are certainly the nicest in appearance and build quality. The remote control is another very useful feature. Class A/B amps, but kind of disappointing bass extension (only 50 Hz):
http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Powered-Speaker-Systems/HD6-Powered-Speakers

With a subwoofer later on, I'm not sure how much the bass extension will matter in the end. Class A/B amp in the Audioengine seems like a good choice, but again, I am not sure how much it matters for such a system.

Any thoughts on these options would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Requesting advice on powered monitors for second system

Reply #1
Why limit yourself to powered speakers?  As discussed in another current thread, small amps are quite good and inexpensive.  That opens up a much larger set of options on speakers.

Do you specifically need near-field monitors?

Reply #2
Another consideration, with the first two speakers you mentioned, I don't see a high pass filter option, which you would want when you are adding a sub.  (Basically, once you have a sub, you want to remove the lower frequencies from the stereo pair, so they aren't spending energy trying to play the lower notes.)  However, a lot powered subs do offer this filtering.  Basically confirm that your sub you consider offers this.

Reply #3
Another consideration, with the first two speakers you mentioned, I don't see a high pass filter option, which you would want when you are adding a sub.  (Basically, once you have a sub, you want to remove the lower frequencies from the stereo pair, so they aren't spending energy trying to play the lower notes.)  However, a lot powered subs do offer this filtering.  Basically confirm that your sub you consider offers this.

It takes more than a high pass filter to make a good subwoofer crossover. Products like the MINIDSP 2x4 are good general solutions for this problem, if the sub or the signal source (usually the  AVR) doesn't already have one.

Reply #4
It takes more than a high pass filter to make a good subwoofer crossover. Products like the MINIDSP 2x4 are good general solutions for this problem, if the sub or the signal source (usually the  AVR) doesn't already have one.

Like what?  A well-designed high pass (and low-pass) filter?

Reply #5
I'm fond of a pair of these I use in a room that is about 20' by 30'.
https://www.adam-audio.com/en/ax-series/a5x/

frankly, the a3x would probably be plenty for this space. I never get the volume over 50% when playing loud.

EDIT> These replaced a pair of audioengine A5 speakers. I use audioengine a2 speakers with my desktop computer at work,

Reply #6

Exactly.

Reply #8

Exactly.

Have you found the cross-overs built into subs to generally be inferior?  Stated another way, do you generally recommend this extra DSP even if the sub has its own cross-over?

Exactly.

Have you found the cross-overs built into subs to generally be inferior?  Stated another way, do you generally recommend this extra DSP even if the sub has its own cross-over?

I mostly find line level crossovers to be absent becuase a lot of modern subwoofers are designed to work with AVRs that already have subwoofer crossovers of their own. It is also true that many of the rest of them use low slope crossovers when what I find most useful to be 24/dB octave crossovers.

Reply #9

I mostly find line level crossovers to be absent becuase a lot of modern subwoofers are designed to work with AVRs that already have subwoofer crossovers of their own. It is also true that many of the rest of them use low slope crossovers when what I find most useful to be 24/dB octave crossovers.

Good info.  Thanks.

Reply #10

Totally second this recommendation.  I have a pair of Monsoon speakers (the flat panel only variety) and use the miniDSP to feed their amp high-pass info, with the low-pass going to a Polk sub.  Yes, I have a bi-amped system at my computer desk.  Go me! 

Anyway, the mini is a great thing to have; it's almost infinitely flexible and even has built-in parametric EQs.  How I wish I'd had one of these back in the 70s when I was building my own crossovers...

Reply #11
Yes, I have a bi-amped system at my computer desk.  Go me! 

Pshaw, only bi-amped? ;-)

(Tri-amped, active studio monitors and active subs)

Reply #12
Yes, I have a bi-amped system at my computer desk.  Go me! 

Pshaw, only bi-amped? ;-)

(Tri-amped, active studio monitors and active subs)

It's not my main listening system - but the tri-amped Magneplanars won't fit in the office.  :-D  For what I listen to at the computer, the Monsoons are just fine and only need some low end to decently reproduce the music.  For the $30 they cost me, I'm really splurging on electronics.