Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MP3 containers (Read 7370 times) previous topic - next topic

MP3 containers

I have been searching for a solution to the multiple artist/mutilpe genre problem for some songs.

Most of my music is already in mp3 format, precluding a rerip to ogg or some other format.

Has anyone thought of a new container package format to allow different/multiple tags, such as artist 1, artist 2 genre 1, genre 2. As I sense it, the only problem then becomes the readers/players, requiring them to keep multuple index entries for the same audio fle. Is this an insurmountable problem? I wouldn't think so for software players like Winamp or WMP, but could this be impelmented in portable players like iPods etc via firmware updates?

TIA

MP3 containers

Reply #1
With foobar2000 you can add as many tags as you want, even multiple of the same one, just use ID3v2 tags for the MP3s.
Other players will probably just display one of the duplicates though.

MP3 containers

Reply #2
.. APETAGEX (APEv2) tags will do just fine too if you don't need compatibility with other players. Tags are data bytes either appended to the end of your file or inserted at the beginning. There is no need to wrap your stream in another container (like Matroska or OGM) just to store metadata values.

_____
(please don't shoot me if I do not approve PP's tag choice)

MP3 containers

Reply #3
You can use MP3 in MP4 or MKA containers. But I seriously doubt that it will help you with the problem you have. I would bet you won't get support for things like multiple artists on standalone players.

MP3 containers

Reply #4
You can use MP3 in MP4 or MKA containers. But I seriously doubt that it will help you with the problem you have. I would bet you won't get support for things like multiple artists on standalone players.

As you stated, support may not be forthcoming. How can this be pushed along?

If I want to play ALL my James Taylor, including duets with Carly Simon and Joni Mitchell, now I have to create a playlist with all those songs, rather than playing by artist.

All in all, it's not that big of a problem but it would be nice as a direction.

Thanks

MP3 containers

Reply #5
ParrotSquawk
I think what you want should be possible in foobar2000, but probably not anywhere else.