Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Are later versions of Lame really better? (Read 13778 times) previous topic - next topic

Are later versions of Lame really better?

Reply #25
1. Could you please explain what is so "silly" about my comments?
Your sarcasm and unsupported suggestions.

3. -Y is not the same as --lowpass 16
I'm well aware of this, but you seem to be suggesting the more content above 16kHz the merrier.  There is a clear difference in content above 16kHz based on the usage of -Y with music that has enough energy in this band.  The point raising the -Y switch is due to you picking -V2 as some type of threshold.  At >2, -Y is used automatically.  I figure it was either that or ask you to ABX -V2 and -V3 or -V2 and -V2 --lowpass 16.  In retrospect maybe I should have requested this last option.  Feel free if you like, though I'd rather see you spend your time on your new presentation.

4. My samples are representative of some of the music I really do listen to.
Glad to hear this, though you should find samples that represent the rest of the music you really do listen to as well in order to suppress concerns that you're cherry-picking.

Reply #26
It seems strange to me that the size of output file is the same as the size of the file without that parametr

CBR is CBR, so that's why the size of the output file doesn't change.

You really are flogging a dead horse here by repeatedly posting meaningless graphs and it won't be very long before people start shouting at you. Use the ABX Comparator tool in Foobar2000 and tell us whether you can actually HEAR the difference between lossless and, say, a -V2 encoding. If you can, work your way up towards -V0 until you can't. If you can't, work your way down until you can.

If you're not sure where this tool is or how to use it, ask, but please stop posting images that have no meaning and that nobody is interested in looking at.

Cheers, Slipstreem. 

------------

Is it basically accepted that no one can hear a difference between 320 and -V0?

Reply #27

Perhaps the better question (and the one that you may mean) is, "is there any statistical difference in people's ability to ABX 320kbps from the original compared to ABX -V0 from the original?"
God kills a kitten every time you encode with CBR 320

Reply #28

Perhaps the better question (and the one that you may mean) is, "is there any statistical difference in people's ability to ABX 320kbps from the original compared to ABX -V0 from the original?"

That in itself is an interesting question.

But if one is faced with a binary decision to compress to either 320 or -V0, I think my question is more suited to answering that question.

Reply #29
if one is faced with a binary decision to compress to either 320 or -V0, I think my question is more suited to answering that question.

Not on this discussion board, it's not. The common presumed goal in these forums is to make the most accurate (to the human ear) reproduction of the original wav file. That is the reference point. If you can tell a diff between two different encodings of the same original file, that doesn't tell you which is better.
God kills a kitten every time you encode with CBR 320

Reply #30
...unless you can't tell the difference between just one of those encodings and the original file.

Anyway, no, it is not basically accepted that no one can hear a difference between 320 and -V0.