Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: "Activate now playing" hotkey-able in default UI (Read 5933 times) previous topic - next topic

"Activate now playing" hotkey-able in default UI

I use default UI and often browse multiple playlists and then want quickly to jump back to the currently playing item, preferable by hotkey as I mostly use the keyboard. In order to do so I have two options:
  • use the mouse and double-click the status bar or
  • install columns UI, use default UI and find the hotkey-able action "Activate now playing" in the hotkey preferences.
I think it is a little bit much overhead to install a 1,2 MB component only to be able to use this action as a hotkey. Is it possible to add this action to the default UI's capabilities?

Reply #1
I believe what you are looking for is under Main>View>Show Now Playing in the keyboard shortcuts.

Reply #2
I believe what you are looking for is under Main>View>Show Now Playing in the keyboard shortcuts.

Nope, sadly not. When this action is assigned to a global hotkey, you can enable a ballon tooltip telling you the currently playing track.

Reply #3
Also foosion's foo_utils has command "Highlight in Playlist".
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Reply #4
Also foosion's foo_utils has command "Highlight in Playlist".

This "highlights the selected items" in the current playlist, not the currently playing. But thanks for trying to help!

Reply #5
The same command under "[context / now playing]" highlights the currently playing track. But yes, I missed the part about multiple playlists, it doesn't switch to the playing one. (And I agree, it would be nice to have such command in the core.)
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Reply #6
Hi,

the plugin foo_highlightplaying does exactly what you want! 

Reply #8
i agree, this should be a native function.

Reply #9
Maybe i'm not understanding something, but i assigned "Show now playing" shortcut to a hotkey. And for me it behaves just the same like clicking the status bar. It highlights the currently playing track and also jumps to the playlist it's in if another is currently displayed. No balloon tips whatsoever, although i disabled these long ago, which is probably the reason for the different behavior, but it's still strange.

Reply #10
As long as "always show notification area icon" is deactivated that command will bring the now playing track to front instead of showing ballon.
By the way: there is a small difference to doubleclicking the statusbar - "show now playing" won't put focus on playlist view.

Reply #11
Maybe i'm not understanding something, but i assigned "Show now playing" shortcut to a hotkey. And for me it behaves just the same like clicking the status bar. It highlights the currently playing track and also jumps to the playlist it's in if another is currently displayed. No balloon tips whatsoever, although i disabled these long ago, which is probably the reason for the different behavior, but it's still strange.

Wow. Thanks. I didn't know there was a Show Now Playing or that clicking the statusbar did that. I always found myself looking for the playing icon.

Reply #12
As long as "always show notification area icon" is deactivated that command will bring the now playing track to front instead of showing ballon.

This is clearly a bug. I want to keep the notification area icon and balloon tips while having the ability to go to the currently playing song.

Reply #13

This is clearly a bug. I want to keep the notification area icon and balloon tips while having the ability to go to the currently playing song.

I would also like to bind a hotkey to jump to current playing song, while always showing icon.
Windows 10 Pro x64 // foobar2000 1.3.10