Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Support for Vista MMCSS (Read 3524 times) previous topic - next topic

Support for Vista MMCSS

Are there any plans for foobar2000 to hook into Vista's Multimedia Class Scheduler Service? I really do love foobar2000, but it would be nice to be able to get clean playback when something decides to peg my processor which, alas, even a javascript heavy site, or some overly fast web browser scrolling, can achieve for a millisecond... and that's all it takes to ruin the audio experience

Support for Vista MMCSS

Reply #1
According to the linked article, MMCSS support is automatically provided to the multimedia APIs in Windows:
When a multimedia application begins playback, the multimedia APIs it uses call the MMCSS service to boost the priority of the playback thread into the realtime range, which covers priorities 16-31, for up to 8ms of every 10ms interval of the time, depending on how much CPU the playback thread requires.

Support for Vista MMCSS

Reply #2
What leads me to doubt this is that I can play track X in foobar2000 and cause stutter, while the same track in WMP does not. I also recall reading somewhere that programs need to register themselves.

I'd best check and return.

Support for Vista MMCSS

Reply #3
What leads me to doubt this is that I can play track X in foobar2000 and cause stutter, while the same track in WMP does not. I also recall reading somewhere that programs need to register themselves.

I'd best check and return.

That sounds more like a problem with your foobar settings. Verify your output mode (and buffer amount), and your DSP chain as well.