Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 8000 msec Output Buffer Too Small (Read 4718 times) previous topic - next topic

8000 msec Output Buffer Too Small

I am playing FLAC files off my network server.  It is rather old and sometimes gets busy doing other stuff and cannot deliver the 950 kbps required.

The 8 second output buffer in fb2k is not enogh for me. WA2 offers 20 seconds, and that works somewhat better. Since I have plenty of RAM, I would prefer a buffer of 2 minutes or so.

Reply #1
what OS setup are you running again ? win2k/xp ? i don't want "normal users" to be able to use insane buffer sizes, but i can put up "special" hacked output component allowing extremely big buffers.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #2
why? and why dividing users into "normal" and "advanced" (or what?) in the first place? even though some of them are lamers indeed, you never know who.

and if the current core/outputs have problems with large buffers it's a good chance to fix it.

Reply #3
Because if you give 'normal users' too many options they will screw it up.
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #4
Because if you give 'normal users' too many options they will screw it up.

and come complaining that "this option is broken".

Reply #5
but how'll you know which user is 'normal'? make all fb2k users to pass IQ test and will only give your 'advanced' plug-ins to those who have at least 120?  LOL

btw, dev0, are you sure you are not normal?

Reply #6
but how'll you know which user is 'normal'?

That is very hard indeed ...

But seriously, it could just be a separate download, not in the default. Then people can decide for them selves if they're normal
--
Ge Someone
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

Reply #7
what OS setup are you running again ? win2k/xp ? i don't want "normal users" to be able to use insane buffer sizes, but i can put up "special" hacked output component allowing extremely big buffers.

My workstation is running WinXP. It is a P4/1.8G with 512 Mb ram, SB Live card and Intel Ethernet Express net adapter.  It is connected to my server thru a D-Link switch.

My server is three years old. It is a dual P2-400 with 1 Gb RAM, Intel Ethernet Express net adapter, SCSI boot drive and --probably the problem-- 4x 120 Gb brand new IBM ATA133 disks connected to the onboard ATA33 controller and configured as software-RAID5 under Red Hat Linux.

Because of the RAID5 setup, all four disks/both IDE controllers are used when performing any disk operation. It is pretty fast when performing a single read operation. But being a server, it has to do something else from time to time. It cannot deliver a constant 950 kbps stream if there are multiple disk operations in progress.

It is possible that my problems are caused by the old ATA33 controller. Unfortunately I have run out of money for time being and cannot afford a new one. A larger output buffer really solves all my problem.

Thanks.

Reply #8
OK, i just wanted to know if i should make "hacked" version of waveout or directsound output, in your case directsound will do better job.
i've broken various big things in 0.34, it might take a few more days to get this release done.

Reply #11
Please make a 0.4 version, so I can play my files properly.

Thanks.