Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: converting to aac using nero and foobar 0.9 (Read 10820 times) previous topic - next topic

converting to aac using nero and foobar 0.9

Hello all,

I noticed that, when converting to aac, foobar 0.9 uses its own wrapper to call the nero dll's. Now, I think I managed to find how to have it make m4a files instead of mp4, but neroaacwrapper.exe seems to only take a quality-preset from 0 to 10 as parameter. What settings do these presets correspond to in the nero GUI? (and, is there a way to use the nero gui instead of the wrapper?)

I sort of like the ability to choose between <HE/LC aac>, <VBR/CBR>, ...

Reply #1
first post here, bye all

until Q4 foobar encodes in HE-AAC, and I think it's equivalent to VBR-Streaming-High settings in nero GUI .... from Q5 it produces LC-AAC files ..... you can easily check it if you have a info panel on foobar using the variable %codec_profile% ... LC or SBR (means HE)

I hope i solved your doubts
An interested Niph :D

Reply #2
I was just thinking the same thing

The problem is, at Q7 the file is 160 kbps or so, at Q6 it is 87 kbps! So how do I get something in between? Well I went to Nero itself and encoded at Normal and got 160kbps, so that seems to be Q7. Then I tried Streaming and got 142kbps?! Then what is Q6?! So I tried Streaming with HE and got 59kbps!

I much rather know what options I am using.

Reply #3
Q7 here is ~153 kbps .... so I think you've done an error on your conversion at Q6

However I agree with the request of a GUI with "nero names" replaced instead of Qxx ..... I also want to know if it's using SBR, PNS or PS, or if it's ISO 13818-7 acc track compliant before the conversion

Reply #4
PNS ... or if it's ISO 13818-7 acc track compliant

Do you even know what those are? When they should be enabled? For the love of god, you even couldn't spell one of them correctly :-P

I have been insisting for a while that these options are removed from the Nero GUI itself, I'm sure it will happen in a future version of the encoder, and I'm happy Peter didn't make the same mistake.  The only thing that they allow is for you to shoot yourself in the foot.

The descriptions in the Nero GUI have been wrong (in terms of bitrate you get on average) for a long time as well.

Reply #5
Hi! I just "upgraded" to the 0.9 version of Foobar, and thus I lost an easy way to convert the files to m4a instead of mp4 (at least I think so).

Mr =trott= wrote that he has managed to make m4a files instead of mp4. Well, my question is just, how did he succeed with that.

Maybee the answer is easy, maybee it's out there on this forum (but I didn't find it).

Any kind of help would be welcome!

Reply #6
m4a is the same as mp4. Just rename them.

Reply #7
Sorry, I realized that my question was rather unclear: I'm aware that you can change the file endings - and that's a fully functional solution - but if the CD has for example 20 tracks, and you want the files in a m4a format (and you want to use foobar2000 0.9 to convert the files) it gets a bit tedious to change every file-ending.

My question is if you could get foobar 0.9 to do it instead (Mr =trott= says that's possible and the 0.83 version could do it, although that version used another encoder). And if it's possible, how do you make it a reality.

once again, I'm thankful for any type of advice!

Reply #8
Sorry, I realized that my question was rather unclear: I'm aware that you can change the file endings - and that's a fully functional solution - but if the CD has for example 20 tracks, and you want the files in a m4a format (and you want to use foobar2000 0.9 to convert the files) it gets a bit tedious to change every file-ending.

My question is if you could get foobar 0.9 to do it instead (Mr =trott= says that's possible and the 0.83 version could do it, although that version used another encoder). And if it's possible, how do you make it a reality.
Load foobar2000, click File, Preferences, go to Tools, Converter. Select the MP4 option & click Edit. From the drop-down menu select Custom, you can change the Extension to M4A.
Techspot.com Editor

Reply #9
Do you even know what those are? When they should be enabled? For the love of god, you even couldn't spell one of them correctly :-P

I know only that I use foobar also because it's a great converter...... I only "copied" from the GUI, i didn't miss the spell of any of them .... so ....  you (dev, GUI makers, anyone who know how exactly foobar's nero converter works) should show what is the result of a certain settings, with the "corresponding" settings in "official?" nero gui simply because people don't know foobar "settings and results" but they know (even not completely) "results of nero settings"

Perhaps user will be totally satisfied by foobar's converter settings (understanding the "logic" under the construction of the GUI)  and forget nero's gui settings

Reply #10
I simply don't understand the problem! Do people use settings just because they exist? I at least choose a target bitrate for the encoder I want to use. It's the encoder's job (or the interface's) to use the optimal settings/extensions of the codec at the given target bitrate (for example HE or PS for AAC). Foobar2000 shows for every lossy encoder its presets with an estimated target bitrate and that's the only way which makes sense imho.

Reply #11
THANKS!!! It couldn't get easier. Strange how you can be so blind some times! Great to have your support then!

Reply #12
reducing possibilities of settings (from textual to numbers too) IMHO is a strong semplification of the possibilities of the codec itself ... since all the "extra -features" of AAC codec by Nero aren't supported (programs that like raw aac streams or iso-blah complaint, SA or portable players) and make very different files with very different qualities and very different sizes (like mp3 and mp3pro perhaps) I wanted only to know e.g. if at Q1 PS is enabled etc.etc. (in the example of mp3 and mp3pro I can choose the codec, but in foobar's Nero settings I can't)

that's why I (and others too) would know by devs (or anyone who knows this things) only an explanation (not only on bitrate settings) of Qx or Qy "enabled-or-disabled-features"

sorry for the english

Reply #13
So, you have absolutely no clue what the settings do, yet you are still somehow sure that missing those options is evil? I don't even know what to say to that.

The new Nero encoder will just have a quality setting and configure everything optimally for you without any options. There will be a seperate profile setting for selecting what your device is capable of.

Reply #14
OK, it's impossible to make a new GUI for reasons above (a normal user simply wants to achieve a "bitrate-setted" encoding)

now,
is it so difficult to say WHAT settings are enabled to reach an optimal encode?

Q1-->HE-aac - ~xxxbitrate - PS - foo - bar
Q2-->HE-AAC - ~yyybirate - and so on

I'm curious   

Reply #15
now,
is it so difficult to say WHAT settings are enabled to reach an optimal encode?
Doesn't it do this already? I mean the drop-down menu indicates (for example) MP4 (Nero), ~180kbps. Isn't that what you're looking for? The Options menu allows you to use a slider to adjust the ~ bitrate further. Or do you mean, indicate when whether HE or LC encoder is being used in additon to bitrate?
I think the default options for MP3, MP4... conversion are set a level generally considered transparent for most (I realise saying this'll get me into trouble with some, but this is just my understanding, not necessarily what I believe to be "true" )
Techspot.com Editor

Reply #16
now the drop-down box indicates only bitrate reached by that setting ... I want to know what settings are "generally considered to be transparent" for that bitrate ..... again, I'll do the example ....

Q1 is a HE-AAC encoding with parametric stereo and perceptual noise substitution
Q2 is a HE-AAC encoding with/without xxx or yyy

and so on

Reply #17
It was just a question, guys

Anyway, I (for what it's worth) respect the design decisions of foobar's developers and see the reasoning behind most of them. However, personally, I disagree with some of them. Foobar used to be 'the swiss army knife of digital audio' (or was that dbpoweramp  ). Now it's 'the swiss army knife of digital audio with a user interface that's so dumbed down that it is neither beginner-friendly, nor usable as an advanced audio tool'.

There is still a big difference between 'preventing somebody to shoot himself in the foot' and 'dumbing it down because userz are loserz'...

Surely a compromise can be made? Specifically in this case, seeing as he-aac can not be played by some audio players which can play lc-aac, it seems logical to be able to turn this on/off. Also, there are good reasons for choosing cbr over vbr (eg streaming) so this also should be a configurable option imo.

Reply #18
FFS. Just select custom, and you can use any encoder with ANY setting you feel like no matter how pointless it may be. Most users probably want a quick way to indicate what balance of filesize/quality they're after, and which format to use, and this is exactly what the GUI offers. When I want to encode an MP3, there's no more searching these forums for the optimal settings, I can trust foobar to select them for me.

Reply #19
Can anyone confirm that you can no longer convert to MP4 using Nero 7.2? foobar2000 tells me that Nero has to be installed, but it certainly is.

Also, a short True/False for SBR and PS would be nice.

Reply #20
If you've been reading threads over in the main HA forum, you would see that this probably will be remedied shortly.

relevant thread

- h.

Reply #21
Sebastian> I could also confirm it. The new encoder breaks the compatibility with foobar2000 (and maybe other frontends).

Reply #22
It works for me under v0.9.1 after install Nero v7.2.0.3 & restarted.
You guys have nero registered?

Reply #24
Have you installed some external plugins to convert some files in AAC ?