Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Online test for profiling headpohnes fq response (Read 3080 times) previous topic - next topic

Online test for profiling headpohnes fq response

I came across the following on-line test Equal loudness contours and audiometry.

I started testing with my RE0 headphone - and discovered that I am deaf at 16kHz, apart from that I got a pretty normal equal loudness profile on other frequencies. I was not convinced, maybe RE0 can't go up to 16kHz? so I pulled out another headphone - but still can't hear a thing on 16kHz. Still not convinced, I asked my wife's to do the test. She produced a profile that is in line with the equal loudness all the way to 16kHz. So I am deaf at 16kHz indeed 

Apart from discovering that I am deaf at 16kHz, I also discovered that the two headphones produced vastly different equal loudness contour. The RE0 is more or less in-line with the normal equal loudness contour, while the other OEM headphone that came with with Dell XPS notebook has a equal loudness contour that runs flat in the base region, only lifting slightly at 60Hz, indicating a 20dB+ boast in the base region.

So I got a rough confirmation that the RE0 frequency response is indeed flat. When I first got the RE0 it took me a while to get used to it's 'lack' in base. Now that I have gotten used to it, I find it hard to get back to the overwhelming bass of the Dell headphone.

This online test is only as good as one's headphone. But I found it quite a useful tool for very roughly profiling the frequency response of headphones!

Reply #1
Assessing bass response in headphones is a slippery fish. I've noticed that it takes 20 minutes for anything (within reason) to sound right.

Reply #2
This was posted before here. Unfortunately a lot of the links to results are now lost.

Thanks for posting about this again as I always meant to compare my SE530 and ER4p.
daefeatures.co.uk