Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: showing Rating column in playlist view -- how?  (Read 4049 times) previous topic - next topic

showing Rating column in playlist view -- how?

Is there a way to add a column in playlist view for Win Foobar2000? I'd like to add a column for "Rating". Normally I would assign a value to the Rating field through Windows Explorer Details view or maybe mp3tag.

Even though ratings is an extended tag, I know that this value and field can be visible to Foobar 2000. By right-clicking the track in Foobar, I can see the field and the value in ALL CAPS. But this field doesn't appear in Foobar's file properties  when empty of any value.  However, you can add the value by clicking on the last empty row (and Foobar will present a popup for you to add the FIELD NAME and FIELD VALUE).

I see that Foobar lets you make custom columns in playlist view. (Right click the column headings, select COLUMNS, then MORE)  -- but  I am not sure whether these columns refer to tags stored in audio tags or whether they have values stored in a db specific to Foobar (i.e., number of plays, etc)

Random other thoughts: I just noticed that when dbpoweramp  rips files (to opus or m4a) it will assign values to the Ratings tag (from freedb or musicbrainz). How very strange! 

Re: showing Rating column in playlist view -- how?

Reply #1
Ok, I figured it out.

When playing songs, right-click column heading bar. (That's the column under volume control and duration graph and above actual track listings).
Select Columns and then More.
Now you will be at the preferences configuration menus, set to Playlist View.
Under Custom Columns, Press Add New.
For name, type Rating. (This is actually arbitrary. You could call it "elephant" or "nostril". Whatever you want).
For pattern,  type in %rating%.  (You can leave Alignment as is).
Press Ok to exit out of this popup.
Again, right-click anywhere on the column heading bar.
Select Rating (or "elephant" or "nostril", etc).
The new rating column should appear immediately.

Comments:

First, curiously, %rating% does not appear on this reference page to title formatting.

Second,  if there is no element in the Rating tag, it appears as a question mark. I assume that you can programmatically change to this whatever you want (using the functions on the Titleformat reference page).

In summary, the main issue here was that %rating% needs to be added to the reference information.

Reply #2
First, curiously, %rating% does not appear on this reference page to title formatting.

Second,  if there is no element in the Rating tag, it appears as a question mark. I assume that you can programmatically change to this whatever you want (using the functions on the Titleformat reference page).

In summary, the main issue here was that %rating% needs to be added to the reference information.

About your main issue if you would have read the titleformatting introduction under song information you would read this:
"Title formatting scripts would be quite useless, if you could not display information about songs. To access the value of the "title" tag, you would write "title" in percent signs. A name written inside percent signs will generally try to look up the tag of the same name."

So essentially it's just whichever tag value you want to represent you use %% whether it is for %rating% or %yourowncustomtagfield%.
Your second point is addressed in the titleformatting reference at point 4.3 (Control Flow Functions) with $if(cond,then,else). So for what you want  it would be $if(%rating%,%rating%,whatever you want to show here).

Reply #3
Very interesting.  So you're saying that it tries to "look up" the value of the field "rating". But is that an id3 tag?   (I see another id3 field  listed as Popularimeter; is that the same thing?).

Speaking of which, I rip stuff in opus (and ogg). Looking around wikipedia, I see that they use another metadata standard (or maybe no standard?!)  It seems strange -- and yes wondrous -- that Win Explorer and Foobar can read each other's ratings regardless of the file format and metadata standard.

(At the same time, I'm disappointed that some audio files I rated in ubuntu's amarok (mp3, m4a, ogg) don't show up in Windows or Windows apps. That tells me that the ratings were local  to the app's database (or else, it was written in a way that is unreadable on Windows). 

I see that I need to learn a lot more about these things.  But for now, my immediate problem is solved.....

Reply #4
Take a look at the titleformatting help file (within foobar2000: help -> titleformatting help) for more information and a list of generic fields, context specific fields and functions. And yes, as you already guessed there's a difference between data being kept in central file/location or the data being stored in the music file themselves. Both are possible in foobar2000.

Reply #5
I solved a similar problem by using this expression : $meta(rating)
for the custom colomn at the playlist view (in the preferences settings).