Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Support for Monkey Audio (APE format)? (Read 8862 times) previous topic - next topic

Support for Monkey Audio (APE format)?

zZzZzZz,

Any plans to support APE format?

Omni

Disclaimer:  Since your feature list specifically excluded any mention of APE, I haven't bothered to download it since 100% of my collection is in APE format.  So please don't yell something like "RTFM" if it actually does already support APE. 

Reply #1
zZzZzZz,

Any plans to support APE format?

Omni

Disclaimer:  Since your feature list specifically excluded any mention of APE, I haven't bothered to download it since 100% of my collection is in APE format.  So please don't yell something like "RTFM" if it actually does already support APE.  ;)

Just guessing, but it may be because the range coder in MAC is derived from GPL sources, possibly making the entire SDK GPL and requiring anything that links to it to be GPL.

Josh

Reply #2
PP has said that he does not want any GPL'ed code in foobar.

Reply #3
What's the reason for not including FAAD decoding?
< w o g o n e . c o m / l o l >

Reply #4
What's the reason for not including FAAD decoding?

For FAAD2 the GPL license applies. For commercial licensing, please contact Ahead.

The old FAAD has a different licence... but there is one interesting part
Those intending to use this software module in hardware or
software products are advised that this use may infringe existing patents.

Reply #5
I wonder how ahead can use GPL software. Doesn't the licence apply to themselves?

Reply #6
I wonder how ahead can use GPL software. Doesn't the licence apply to themselves?

What GPL software would that be if I may ask?

Reply #7
monkeyaudio included with 0.25.
the reason for "not including" AAC decoding is that foobar2000 is 15 days old now, and i simply haven't had time to add that. i'll very likely add AAC/MP4 decoding via external DLL at some point.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #8

What GPL software would that be if I may ask?

I was thinking about FAAD2... I heard that there would come an AAC codec as a plugin for Nero soon. I just assumed that the decoder was based on FAAD2 since Menno apparently works for Ahead. But it's not? Also the note about commersial licences for FAAD2 mentions Ahead...

I thought that the purpose of GPL was to prohibit mixing of GPL with non-GPL software.

Reply #9
Yes, the Ahead's MPEG4 audio decoder is based on FAAD2. But Menno is probably the only programmer here, so obviously he can decide if he wants to offer (sell) his work to Ahead under some other licence.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #10
Yes, the Ahead's MPEG4 audio decoder is based on FAAD2. But Menno is probably the only programmer here, so obviously he can decide if he wants to offer (sell) his work to Ahead under some other licence.

Obviously yes... My mind is a little foggy today... 

Reply #11
monkeyaudio included with 0.25.

Awesome.  Thanks!

Omni

Reply #12
Will there be support for .APL in upcoming versions?????
"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you."