Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Auto volume leveling (Read 3155 times) previous topic - next topic

Auto volume leveling

Hi everyone,
i'm ejoying foobar since a long time, and i always looked for an option or a way to set the playback volume to autolevel.
I listen to music in office, and sometimes songs are at a higher or a lower volume, even inside the same song.
I would like to set the volume at a position so i don't have to adjust it every 2 minutes.

I tryed to search in the forum, but i didn't find anything.

Thanks for your help.

Auto volume leveling

Reply #1
For volume leveling between songs, there's ReplayGain. You scan your library, then go to Preferences > Playback > Sourcemode = track; Processing =  apply gain. The volume corrections are stored in tags, and applied on the fly on playback. I'm surprised you couldn't find anything— it's a very common topic. What did you search for?

For volume leveling within songs, you'll need a dynamic range compressor and/or a limiter.

I know that this effect collection has a compressor, but I haven't played with it.

Auto volume leveling

Reply #2
http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_r128norm acts as a subtle volume rider with about 10 second look-ahead and matches volume against ReplayGain standard 89 dB SPL using the R128 algorithm.
Dynamic – the artist formerly known as DickD

Re: Auto volume leveling

Reply #3
EBU R128 is NOT an auto volume component, its a compressor. Not the same. I need an auto volume component like Vlevel but it crashes on the latest foobar versions.

Reply #4
Not the same.
Isn't it?  Surely anything which alters the volume dynamically is a compressor!  The alternative is to set the volume for the whole track.
It's your privilege to disagree, but that doesn't make you right and me wrong.

Reply #5
EBU R128 is NOT an auto volume component, its a compressor. Not the same. I need an auto volume component like Vlevel but it crashes on the latest foobar versions.
I have 20080302.0 version, somewhere from here, did never and does not crash. EBU R128 plugin has no options, for my taste it is way to radical pushing up the very silent parts.

Reply #6
Not the same.
Isn't it?  Surely anything which alters the volume dynamically is a compressor!  The alternative is to set the volume for the whole track.
https://flypaper.soundfly.com/produce/compressors-vs-limiters-vs-volume-automation-whats-the-difference/
"So, with the ability to mimic volume level automation, plus add additional sound characterizations to your tracks, why not just use a compressor every time and call it a day?

There are certainly many cases when using a compressor is a great solution, but there are almost always going to be outliers in any recorded track that don’t quite fit your “one size fits all” compression settings. Those outliers require you to still utilize good old fashioned volume level automation in order to manually place them close enough in line with the rest of the track to work well with your compression settings."

Reply #7
I have 20080302.0 version, somewhere from here, did never and does not crash. EBU R128 plugin has no options, for my taste it is way to radical pushing up the very silent parts.

I found that I had "Ear protection" activated by default on the realtek driver, and I think that was making trouble with Vlevel. Fingers crossed, seems stable now.