Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC decoder testbench (Read 22625 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: FLAC decoder testbench

Reply #75
Only file 63 differs, and file 64 has been added between revision 6 and revision 7. Anyway, thanks for testing!
Music: sounds arranged such that they construct feelings.

Reply #76
Tested files 63 and 64 from v7.  They play fine.

Reply #77
Added to the table. Interpreting "will be down-sampled" as not being part of the decoder (rather subsequent processing) I have not remarked those. Could be filled in "Remarks" if one wants to.

Reply #78
Added to the table. Interpreting "will be down-sampled" as not being part of the decoder (rather subsequent processing) I have not remarked those. Could be filled in "Remarks" if one wants to.
BTW, ability to correctly play files 19-21 depends of device/program to do resampling rather than ability to correctly decode FLAC

Reply #79
Yes, but it would be nice to recognize during parsing of the FLAC file already that the device is unable to render a file properly. In other words, a file with a samplerate that a device cannot play should be gracefully skipped, informing the user the file is unplayable, instead of mangling or even crashing.

Reply #80
I am not sure if resampling is "mangling" when it comes to a hardware player. To pinpoint it: what if the device doesn't even have any digital output? If it decodes the FLAC file then it decodes the FLAC file, even if what the device outputs is analog-only.
Even if an in-car player has a digital connection, how many in-car DACs support sampling rates of 54321 kHz? I'd say it is fair game for the purpose to resample to 48000 or 44100.

Reply #81
With mangling I actually meant playback at wrong speed, not resampling.

Reply #82
54321 is still not as malicious as 76543 (prime). SSRC in foobar supports 54321 but not 76543, setting the output to 76543 the result will be an untouched file with no warning or error. RetroArch and foo_dsp_resampler for example have no issue with 76543.

In the case of hardware resampler chips there are also limitations on maximum resampling ratios. For example Cirrus Logic CS8421, CS8422 and TI SRC4192, SRC4193. I have a very old Roland synth/interface with a very old CS8420.