Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 1st ipod, best way to convert FLACs to AAC (Read 18233 times) previous topic - next topic

1st ipod, best way to convert FLACs to AAC

So I finally bought my first ipod (160GB Classic) , nearly two years after the demise of my beloved rio karma. I feel like I've sold out.

so now, my vorbis library is useless, but I've got everything in FLAC (this is what I use for home listening). Is there a program that can take the 1.3 TB+ of flac files I've got and spit out a similar directory of good res AAC files? I figure I'll shoot for about q .55 and see how much space that takes up. Something multithreaded would be great.

Also, I've never used itunes in my life. I've heard there are other ways to get music and videos on the ipod, but don't know if they work with the current models. am I stuck with itunes? I may also want to start grabbing podcasts from NPR.

Lastly, I've got to get some better phones. I've never tried canalphones, and I'm worried that I'll be uncomfortable with them. Is there a cheap way to demo the "fit" of say the shure E5C or ER-4P?

Much thanks, I've been on Google for about two hours and an feeling a bit lost.

Reply #1
so now, my vorbis library is useless, but I've got everything in FLAC (this is what I use for home listening). Is there a program that can take the 1.3 TB+ of flac files I've got and spit out a similar directory of good res AAC files? I figure I'll shoot for about q .55 and see how much space that takes up. Something multithreaded would be great.

You can use foobar or dbpoweramp to get the task done. Although dbpoweramp is easier to use (for newbies), the multithreads is supported only in the paid version (IIRC). Foobar on the other hand supports multiple threads out of the box.

Also, I've never used itunes in my life. I've heard there are other ways to get music and videos on the ipod, but don't know if they work with the current models. am I stuck with itunes? I may also want to start grabbing podcasts from NPR.

At present none of the windows based tools like ephpod/anapod/foo_dop are working properly. Even then once you start putting podcasts, music videos, tv shows into the equation, itunes is pretty much your only choice. (I hate the program too, but i'm stuck with it- atleast to dump files on my ipod).

Lastly, I've got to get some better phones. I've never tried canalphones, and I'm worried that I'll be uncomfortable with them. Is there a cheap way to demo the "fit" of say the shure E5C or ER-4P?

I've got the E2C and i'm pretty glad with it. Every shure earphone comes with a bunch of sleeves for you to choose from-- you'd have to be exceptionally unlucky if NONE of them fit comfortably in your ear. Also, the first time you put it on, it does feel a bit strange, but you'll quickly get used it.

Reply #2
Hi, use foobar2000 (see Wiki) and Nero AAC encoder.

For fb2k you'll need to create custom encoder setting:
Code: [Select]
Preset: custom
encoder: neroAacEnc.exe
extension: m4a
parameters: -q 0.50 -lc -ignorelength -if - -of %d
format is: lossy
highest bps: 32
name: MP4 (Nero)

"-q 0.50" is the quality switch, you can tweak it to your needs (specify a floating-point number in 0.00 ... 1.00 range).

Then upload resulting files using iTunes.

Reply #3
I'd also like to add that you may want to use MP3Tag to embed artwork to the files en masse.

McoreD's ITSFV does some pretty nifty things like automatically filling in disk number, total tracks, album artist (in itunes style).

Reply #4
At present none of the windows based tools like ephpod/anapod/foo_dop are working properly. Even then once you start putting podcasts, music videos, tv shows into the equation, itunes is pretty much your only choice. (I hate the program too, but i'm stuck with it- atleast to dump files on my ipod).

The newest beta for foo_dop adds support for IPod classic and 3G nano with a few minor issues (ie: it currently lacks artwork support).  The next version (which is almost out) will fix those issues.

Reply #5

The newest beta for foo_dop adds support for IPod classic and 3G nano with a few minor issues (ie: it currently lacks artwork support).  The next version (which is almost out) will fix those issues.

Does foo_dop sync with Apple TV?

Reply #6
Your Vorbis files aren't useless if you put Rockbox on your iPod. That's what I'd do anyway, since then you'd get a lot of the nice features the Rio Karma had.

Reply #7
So I finally bought my first ipod (160GB Classic) , nearly two years after the demise of my beloved rio karma. I feel like I've sold out.

Much thanks, I've been on Google for about two hours and an feeling a bit lost.

If you are feeling lost, a good place to check out is www.ilounge.com

Reply #8
I second foobar2000 as a mass converter.  After all it is the main purpose of my foobar2000 use because I can easily update the codecs from rarewares or source.  Plus foobar2000 handles my single image files and can convert them to anything I could need.  Nero AAC with the .m4a extension has no issue with running on my 2nd Gen Nano.
Zune 80, Tak -p4 audio library, Lossless=Choice

Reply #9
Hey thanks everybody, this has been a great help.

I've got foobar's encoder set up, humming along nicely at ~85x (which I think still means I've got several days of converting ahead of me)

One final question, after reading up on the ipod's soundcheck feature, it seems that negatively impacts sound quality. I've stayed away from replaygain simply because I have some live/rare stuff that is very quiet, and normalizing would not sound good on that (but I'd like a way to automatically adjust volume on these as well as other tracks) suggestions? what's the best method for this?

Thanks again.

Reply #10
One final question, after reading up on the ipod's soundcheck feature, it seems that negatively impacts sound quality. I've stayed away from replaygain simply because I have some live/rare stuff that is very quiet, and normalizing would not sound good on that (but I'd like a way to automatically adjust volume on these as well as other tracks) suggestions? what's the best method for this?

If I were you, i'd scan RG values using foobar, and use MP3tag to convert them to soundcheck values.

Reply #11

If I were you, i'd scan RG values using foobar, and use MP3tag to convert them to soundcheck values.

Does that avoid the soundcheck quality issues I've been reading about?

Reply #13

Does that avoid the soundcheck quality issues I've been reading about?

what quality issues?

I've read a number of posts here and elsewhere claiming that soundcheck introduces noise. I guess I'll have to do some tests.

syncing the first 90GB of my converted AACs now, and I have to say, Itunes is the most bloated, annoying, useless piece of software I've seen in a while. it randomly disconnects the ipod and has made syncing a real nightmare. Not to mention asking for personal info and assaulting you with ads. would a mass storage device have been THAT hard? Is it too much to expect that apple's software will just work with their player?

Thanks again everyone for your help.

Reply #14
I would wager yes on converting the Replaygain info into Soundcheck info due to Replaygain having a background as being more accurate in that field than Apple's Soundcheck could probably ever be.

Though when in doubt, whip it out by doing an ABX for safe measure.

Reply #15
I would wager yes on converting the Replaygain info into Soundcheck info due to Replaygain having a background as being more accurate in that field than Apple's Soundcheck could probably ever be.
I'm not sure I follow.  Could you please elaborate as well as provide some evidence to support this statement?

Reply #16
I'm not sure I follow.  Could you please elaborate as well as provide some evidence to support this statement?

Sure, I'll bite since you can't find it.

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Replaygain

Replay Gain has significant advantages over normalizing. It allows the loudness of a song to be consistant over an entire collection of audio, similar to (but more accurate than) RMS normalizing (this is called 'Track Gain', or 'Radio Gain' in earlier parlance). However, it also allows the loudness of an album to be consistant over a entire music collection, allowing the dynamics of album to remain (This is called 'Album Gain', or 'Audiophile Gain' in earlier parlance). This is usually very important in classical CDs, as there may be quiet segments and loud segments written into different tracks.

The iPod features Soundcheck, which seems to produce roughly the same normalization gains as Replay Gain, but doesn't provide an Album Gain.

Keeping an album's dynamics is more accurate way than just applying a normalization (a la soundcheck/track gain), don't you think?  Though if you are STILL in doubt ABX the two and hear the difference.

Reply #17
No, Soundcheck doesn't provide album gain.

It seemed like you were trying to say something else earlier.  Your use of the word "background" didn't make sense to me.  Remember the person was asking about quality issues and also remember that quite a few people only use track gain.

Now comparing apples to apples, are there quality issues with Soundcheck when it comes to track gain?

Regarding ABX, I don't believe it's an appropriate test in this situation.  It is intended to measure the ability to detect differences, not judge quality.

Reply #18
Egor, what bitrate is the resulting file? Also, how does the Nero AAC encoder differ from the Itunes encoder? Is one better than the other?

Reply #19
Your Vorbis files aren't useless if you put Rockbox on your iPod. That's what I'd do anyway, since then you'd get a lot of the nice features the Rio Karma had.

That was my first thought, but Rockbox doesn't work on the new classic (there's a contradiction in terms :-) iPods.  They do have a port that works on (among other older models) the 5.5 generation 30 and 80 GB iPods.  Nothing on the 2nd gen (or 3rd gen) Nano.

Reply #20
Egor, what bitrate is the resulting file? Also, how does the Nero AAC encoder differ from the Itunes encoder? Is one better than the other?

Judging from some dated listening tests, one isn't better than the other and they should both provide you the same quality.  I do know that some people believe the Nero AAC encoder can achieve better VBR results than the iTunes AAC encoder at respective bitrates.  I have no comment on that as I cannot distinguish between a Nero -q0.4 file and a 128kbps VBR iTunes AAC file.  Either encoder will provide you with very good results, Nero just has the benefit that you pick a quality level instead of a known bitrate and that it is more easily integrated into programs like dbpoweramp, EAC, and foobar2000.

Reply #21

You probably already know about the TrekStor Vibez, but I thought I would mention it just in case. Not the capacity of your dead Karma, and nowhere near the capacity of the iPod you bought, but the firmware is descended from the Rio line, and has a lot of the features of the Karma and more. I can't fit my entire collection on it at once like my wife can with her iPod, but I like its features over her iPod, and it can be interfaced with your computer as a simple USB storage device.

If she ever decides she needs something newer than her 4th gen iPod, I will probably take it and Rockbox it for myself to stay away from iTunes.

Reply #22
im using winamp for my 2nd gen nano..shouldnt have any probs with that if u get the ipod plugin (i think it comes with it). just load whatever u want on the play list and go to "Send To:" and then to ur ipod.

also u can load from exteral mediums unlike itunes like DVD-Rs that i use for storage.

Reply #23
I've been very happy using MediaMonkey to auto-convert my flac files (now the majority of my library) to (Lame) mp3 when syncing to my 60GB ipod. MM is also working on modifying their ipod plugin for the new gen devices. Apparently Apple have modified the itunes database on the new ipods.

MediaMonkey
http://ipodminusitunes.blogspot.com/2007/0...uts-us-off.html

Reply #24
I've read a number of posts here and elsewhere claiming that soundcheck introduces noise. I guess I'll have to do some tests.

Never have run into that. SoundCheck is really a version of ReplayGain, although a little less accurate (since Apple decided to go with speed instead of accuracy).

syncing the first 90GB of my converted AACs now, and I have to say, Itunes is the most bloated, annoying, useless piece of software I've seen in a while. it randomly disconnects the ipod and has made syncing a real nightmare. Not to mention asking for personal info and assaulting you with ads. would a mass storage device have been THAT hard? Is it too much to expect that apple's software will just work with their player?

Thanks again everyone for your help.

I have never had these issues with iTunes syncing to iPods. Works flawlessly everytime for me.

The only "ads" you see are music recommendations for related artists on the itunes store. It is very easy to turn off (under the view window turn off the ministore). Likewise, I believe the only time it asks for personal info is if you sign up to the iTunes Store, which also opens up access to the auto album art feature.

Try using smart playlists. That is when you will see the true power of iTunes/iPod and understand it isn't like other MP3 players. The days of a mass storage device way of loading up your MP3 player don't make any sense if you use smart playlists.
iTunes 10 - Mac OS X 10.6
256kbps AAC VBR
iPhone 4 32GB