Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Apple developing new format for “high definition”/“adaptive streaming” (Read 7887 times) previous topic - next topic

Apple developing new format for “high definition”/“adaptive streaming”

Reply #3
Seems Apple is developing a new audio format http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/...ptive-streaming

Aaaaand boom goes the dynamite. I was almost on the money! Superb job by Apple, selling snake oil to their consumers. Just imagine when this is launched, people will be strolling around, iPhone in hand, listening to tracks via adaptive streaming and assuming they're hearing the difference between 192 and "HD" ... when in fact the adaptive streaming will start probably at 48 or 64 kbps AAC and slowly up-res to 192 or 256 kbps  On their white earbuds no less!

Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie, from the album I'm With You (produced by Rick "Most Deaf" Rubin).
iTunes Music Store AAC file from 6 months ago: AAC 256kbps, 44.1kHz, -9.94 dB replaygain.
iTunes Music Store AAC file, "Mastered for iTunes": AAC 256kbps, 44.1kHz, -11.07 dB replaygain.

Well gee, thanks!

That's awesome, Rubin's given us all MORE THAN ONE DECIBEL of increased DR. Small miracles.
Don't forget International Talk Like A Pirate Day! September the 19th!

Reply #4
Seems Apple is developing a new audio format http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/...ptive-streaming

"It's payday for mastering engineers," he said. "There could be calls for thousands of albums to be remastered, and at over £1,000 to master a mainstream album, it's going to be a healthy boost for the recording industry."
£1000?! Would any of the relevant people even get out of bed for that much? If that's all they're paid, the last 20 years of CD releases makes a lot more sense! But I suspect this is nonsense.

Cheers,
David.

Reply #5
Superb job by Apple, selling snake oil to their consumers.

Adaptively increasing the bit rate as a connection allows is "selling snake oil"?

Reply #6
Hi,

do you had hard the rumors where Apple will present a new file format for the HD Audio?

I have read it on The Guardian

What do you think? Possible that iTunes launch the lossless store????

Reply #8
I don't see Apple offering losses anytime soon, it just doesn't fit their motto.

Reply #9
I read this article in the Guardian as well.

...it's speculation, as Apple will not comment. But it sure seems likely now based on that and some info from Ars Technica.
The Loudness War is over. Now it's a hopeless occupation.

Reply #10
they say:  ""All of a sudden, all your audio from iTunes is in HD rather than AAC. Users wouldn't have to touch a thing – their library will improve in an instant," said the source, who requested to remain anonymous."

sounds like another streaming service...no thanks.  Just give me the files.

Reply #11
sounds like another streaming service...no thanks.  Just give me the files.
Not another streaming service. For what I've read they want to determine your connection's capabilities and deliver the best possible content to you while you're streaming over the iCloud (iTunes Match et al.) service. For now, they're just delivering one bitrate (256kbit/s IIRC). Can't recall where I read this, could have been http://www.macrumors.com
I'm curious what HD means in that context, but with a lot of audiophiles still shuddering when confronted with lossy compression, they could use iCloud to deliver lossless files, trying to gain more acceptance in this irrational market. I find this much more likely than offering lossless downloads, as the whole ecosystem is moving away from local storage anyways.
edit:typo

Reply #12
I don't see Apple offering losses anytime soon, it just doesn't fit their motto.

What is Apple's motto, "Keeping the Dentist Away?"

Reply #13

What is Apple's motto, "Keeping the Dentist Away?"

Their motto is, "We know whats best for you and you will do it"

Streaming service wouldn't work here in Australia with internet data quotas so low. I rather much have my own copy of the songs tagged the way i like.

Apple should just offer their iTunes Plus and a lossless version for the ones who would like it. The rest to me is all marketing rubbish.