Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Some (but not all) FLAC files cut off first second of sound in music (Read 1895 times) previous topic - next topic

Some (but not all) FLAC files cut off first second of sound in music

Hey all,

I downloaded Foobar2000 just a few days ago. I made sure to install the latest (and current) stable version, as well as adding on the converter to convert my music files. Then I installed TTA, game emu, and monkey's audio plugins so Foobar could play those types of files, as well as convert to them. I also downloaded the flac.exe from the flac site to encode to flac as well.

Now I have always used Media Player Classic - Home Cinema for all my music and audio needs. However, I needed to use the foobar2000 program to convert some .ape files to .flac, so I could play them in MPC-HC. Everything has gone smoothly so far, except for a couple soundtracks, which I tried to convert from a single multi-track .FLAC file to just several individual track .FLAC files. Most of them ended up fine, but there were these few that had about 0.5 seconds at the start cut off from the song. If I re-converted the original FLAC source to WAV instead, then the song ended up just fine. But what I don't get is how several other tracks ended up just fine, but not these selective few. The FLACs that cut off 0.5 seconds in MPC-HC, do however, work fine in Foobar2000. This is just so strange its making my head spin. Why is WAV working fine for these few select files, but not FLAC? I just want to use MPC-HC for all my audio and video needs.

Also I had another question that you all might think I am a little crazy for asking, but here goes. I was playing a lot of songs in Foobar2000 (and keep in mind, I had the default settings on), and I noticed that several of the tracks tended to sound quieter than they did in MPC-HC, so I decided to back over to MPC-HC to listen to them instead. I kid you not, they sounded too low than what I remember, they played just like Foobar2000 played them. I know that sounds strange, that the audio files magically changed their recording volume, but I swear it happened! Is this just my imagination or is there some really REALLY bad bug in Foobar2000 that can cause music files to unwantingly change how they play?

EDIT: I should also mention that .TTA as well as .APE seems to not have any of these 0.5 second cutoffs either. I only tried a couple of them, but there were alot of songs in each, so I'm pretty confident it is just a problem with trying to convert one multi-track FLAC to individual track FLACs