Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: sox loses any metadata when going AIFF->FLAC or ->MP3 - any way to fix this? (Read 2312 times) previous topic - next topic

sox loses any metadata when going AIFF->FLAC or ->MP3 - any way to fix this?

I've recently started using sox as a tool for making multiple versions (different res files) from vinyl transfers. I work from a starting point of 32/96K AIFF files with markers - recorded in SoundStudio - which I then add metadata to and split into individual tracks. I'm working on a Mac. I've put together a couple of bash scripts that will do various conversions like take a folder of 32/96 AIFFs and make 24/96 FLACs or 16/44.1 FLACs or 48K MP3 V0's. My desired end result is to have the same rip split into directories with the two sample rates of FLAC and another with the MP3s all in one scripted shot. I've successfully called my sox scripts from a batch script and gotten this done, but with one problem.

If I resample and encode directly from the AIFFs I lose the metadata that I have put in, which is definitely there - I can see it using mediainfo or Kid3. The tags show as id3V2.2.0 when I look at the AIFF files in Kid3.

Has anybody got any ideas for keeping the AIFF metadata when running through sox? Or an alternative command-line, scriptable way to do what I'm trying to do?

Right now the best idea I have is to use XLD to make 32/96 FLACs from the AIFFs (XLD does a good job picking up the metadata) and then feeding those FLACs into sox to do the downsampling and encoding in a batch. But I'd love to know if there is a one-step solution. XLD will not resample as far as I can tell, just encode.

Is there a way to make sox behave properly with AIFF metadata? Is there a sox replacement for Mac that will do this better? Is XLD CLI then sox CLI in a script my best bet?

Re: sox loses any metadata when going AIFF->FLAC or ->MP3 - any way to fix this?

Reply #1
It seems that SoX doesn't support ID3 tags in AIFF files.

Re: sox loses any metadata when going AIFF->FLAC or ->MP3 - any way to fix this?

Reply #2
Did you try foobar?

Reply #3
You might find `ffmpeg` to be better for the task... In general it seems to handle metadata better than SoX, plus it can write multiple different output files from just reading the input source once, so more efficient.