Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MPC/mp+ name release in about 2 weeks. (Read 6721 times) previous topic - next topic

MPC/mp+ name release in about 2 weeks.

Mpegplus/mp+ name will be history in about 2 weeks.
The 3 month name registeration period is then over.

MPC is the file extension and an abbreviation from the full name. So the .mpc file extension ain't changing of course. Only the official full name replaces "Mpegplus"-name.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #1
Do you know if the new programmers to the team will be announced along with the name change and if there are any other things in store for us when this happens?  Maybe an update to the encoder or something?  I'm kind of curious what the current status of streamversion 8 is actually, it would be cool if buschel could make a statement about this.

Reply #2
Good question Dibrom. I've heard it mentioned, for example, that Harman Kardon may be integrating the decoder into their line of CD players. I'm not asking for specifics, but if you could tell us what other kinds of things may become known at that time . . .

John

Reply #3
Harman got damn kardon?

wtf?

is this a rumor or something ;/ `?

/budbrain

Reply #4
[deleted]

Reply #5
No, the actual name is not gonna be Living Audio, although there's a mention about it in the currently available (but secret site).
This is the top of the page:
http://www.under-suspicion.de/i_found_it.jpg

The letters M,P and C are in the name. Not hard to guess that M is the first letter of the full name. Also it's not any "mpeg". P is not the second letter...

I hope that Andree has time to check out this site soon (he's been very busy since starting his new job) and answer some questions, but I will be contacting him frequently to ask more info.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #6
hi guys,

i've visited this forum the first time and have to say: great work!!

i must apologize for my absence in the last weeks/months, but as i told some of you, i started to work and there is lots to do here...
nevertheless i tried to read as many postings as possible -- and of course will be back developing as soon as i've got my PC and my source codes down here in southern germany

i've seen all the guessing about the new name and as JohnV told, there are only a few days expected to be left. there will be no new encoder or decoder released with the release of the new name (i still cannot access my homepage), but i will release a new plugin soon (maybe on the new page;). the new plugin will ignore -- not support!! -- ID3v2-tags and will also be capable of seeking withing ID3v2-tagged files.

btw, who heard the Harman/Kardon-thing?

take care (yes, RD, i still remember these words),
Andree

Reply #7
Buschel!!! so good to hear from you....

The university has me working overtime... 5 classes over 200 students.... so i apologize for not talking in a while... plus trying to get married means i have little time... the little woman wants me to "share in the marriage planning experience":
Translation: You betta do half the work suka!

I cannot wait until the "official release" of what was formally known as mpegplus...

Till then:

Bis Denne...
Bleib sauber...
(yes, i remember the words too,
just hope I spelled them correctly...)

RD

Reply #8
So those 2 weeks are up now + a few days...would be good to get an update if it takes longer time or....when it will happen.

I am almost dying of curiosity...

regards
Jesper

Reply #9
A little off topic... Buschel,  as I saw where you've moved (Karlsruhe) I decided to check how far is it from me. It's "only" 510 kilometers

Reply #10
Mpegplus/mp+ name will be history in about 2 weeks.
The 3 month name registeration period is then over.

mh.. thats 4 weeks ago now... what happenend?
Does Andree have a new girlfriend? 
hehe

Meista

Reply #11
Looks like 9 more days...

I called a friend in Germany, Nic, who speaks regularly with Andree, and in 9 more days the 6 month period will be over and the name will be official...

It seems in Germany other companies have 6 months to boycott your product name if they think it will interfere with an already existing product, etc.

For those of you waiting... the name really isn't that exciting and as JohnV said the "mpc" extension gives hints about the name...

The more important news is what Frank Klemm is doing--optimizing and adding new features to the encoder....

RD

Reply #12
Originally posted by RD

The more important news is what Frank Klemm is doing--optimizing and adding new features to the encoder....

What??!?? Is MppEnc open source?

bye, dB

Reply #13
No mpegplus/mpc is NOT open source.

However Andree has agreed to let Frank Klemm have the source code inorder to increase encoding speed and add some features...

The new encoder should be very good and should be released fairly soon...

RD

Reply #14
Originally posted by RD
No mpegplus/mpc is NOT open source.

However Andree has agreed to let Frank Klemm have the source code inorder to increase encoding speed and add some features...

Andree is a very smart guy: Frank Klemm can helps a lot!

Btw, great news

Many thanks, dB