Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Ogg Vorbis encoder variations (Read 5879 times) previous topic - next topic

Ogg Vorbis encoder variations

I have noticed several ogg vorbis encoder variations. Could someone guide me to the one that would best fit my needs? I use dBpoweramp for encoding on a PC (Pentium IV) I prefer highest VBR setting (up to 500k). Playback is strictly 2 channel via USB to M-Audio Transit to a GDA-700. Sorry for my ineptness, I am just a moderate nerd. 

Reply #1
Latest OGGEnc compiles you can always find here:
http://www.rarewares.org/ogg-oggenc.php

I think the best choice for you is Oggenc2.87 using libVorbis v1.3.2 (P4 version) and encoding with something like -q9
🇺🇦 Glory to Ukraine!

Reply #2
dbpoweramp has choices optimized for various processors.  I believe SSE2 is the one for a pentium 4.  If you pick the wrong  one it will either run slower ( not using all capabilities of your processor) or not run at all.

Reply #3
LOL, yup, I'm just ahead of you. After messing around with diferent builds, unsuccessfully with most, I decided to just go to dBpowramp codec site and download the aoTuV Ogg Vorbis Release 4, Lancer aoTuV b5.7 20090301. (SSE3 is for P4). Done. Thanks guys.

Reply #4
LOL, yup, I'm just ahead of you. After messing around with diferent builds, unsuccessfully with most, I decided to just go to dBpowramp codec site and download the aoTuV Ogg Vorbis Release 4, Lancer aoTuV b5.7 20090301. (SSE3 is for P4). Done. Thanks guys.

OK.  I believe my P4 is prior to hyperthreading.  It was on clearance in  2002, certainly not 90 nm process.

Reply #5
Yeah, I got my PC in 2003. Paid about 3 grand for the damn thing (the monitor alone was almost $800.00. You can get the same type monitor now for less than $300.00), but, I guess that's the trade off, the more you spend, the longer you will probably be able to use it (future proof, so the saleman said, lol). Anyway, I'm still using it. Only prob I had was I had to replace the hard drive last year (38 bucks). Thank God I'm not a gamer.