Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Ripping audio from video files... (Read 7157 times) previous topic - next topic

Ripping audio from video files...

I have spent many hours searching for the proper LAME audio encoder for this, all the links to COMPILED versions seem to be broken.

My problem is that the resulting audio files are coming out at 56Kbps only, which is extremely frustrating. From the research I've done today it seems I need 3.90 or later of lame_enc.dll in order to get better quality than 56Kbps, if someone could confirm this and help me find a version compiled for Windows XP that would be awesome. The stuff on their site seems to be just the source and I have downloaded a couple of other versions from random sites, but the problem wasn't solved so I assume they are pre-3.90 versions (there is no way to tell since the DLL sites didn't elaborate)

Again, I was able to get a 56Kbps .mp3 file from a .avi file with a 128Kbps audio stream using River Past Audio Converter Pro. During encoding it says it's processing at "22 KHz" even though it was set at 44.1 or 48 each time!

It would appear that VLC can also be used for this, but I got choppy sound when I used the "raw" encapsulation and I couldn't figure out which one to use. (I would assume MPEG 1, but that seemed to fail to produce a readable .mp3 file)

Jeez, the things I go thru to get my music videos to play in the shuffle list of my iPod without video.

Reply #1
It could be that you're not using the LAME ACM encoder. I remember that the 56 kBit/s limit was enforced by the free "advanced" version of the Fraunhoffer encoder. I have installed the 3.97 acm version once, because I needed mp3 from Virtual Dub. It worked properly at 96 kBit/s, mono.

But why would you want to mess with ACM if you need only audio? I think you should demultiplex the audio from your video files as-is, and then convert it (only if necessary) using general audio tools, like Foobar2000 and LAME.

Many video types can be opened for demultiplexing by VirtualDubMod (AVI, Matroska/mkv, MPEG-2, MPEG-1).

Reply #2
A brief search of demultiplexing + VirtualDubMod led me to several that involve replacing one video file's audio with that of another.

Could you please direct me to a guide or explain how to get standalone audio? I am afraid to hit the Demux button and overwrite some other file because it seems to require a destination file.

Reply #3
You invoke Streams -> Stream List menu command.

A dialog will pop up listing all detected audio and subtitle streams. Select the one you need and press Demux. Input a filename for your new audio-only file.

I am afraid to hit the Demux button and overwrite some other file because it seems to require a destination file.

Enter a new filename that doesn't point to an existing file. Nothing should be overwritten.

Reply #4
as j7n said, basicall you would:
-demux to new file (just keep vdubmod running)
-disable that stream
with external app
-encode/transcode to something (probably mp3)
and back to vdubmod
-add file to that stream list
-check is video is set to directstream copy
-save avi to a new file
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #5
You invoke Streams -> Stream List menu command.

A dialog will pop up listing all detected audio and subtitle streams. Select the one you need and press Demux. Input a filename for your new audio-only file.

I am afraid to hit the Demux button and overwrite some other file because it seems to require a destination file.

Enter a new filename that doesn't point to an existing file. Nothing should be overwritten.

Thanks a ton, it worked flawlessly and QUICKLY!

800KB source file, duration 1 hour, 20 minutes and it only took 20 second to demux. The way I was trying to do it before would have taken much longer, thanks again.

Edit: Aww crap, the 2nd file I loaded said "parsing MPEG-2" something or other and I had to wait while it was opened. The demux seemed to go fine, but the mp3 file doesn't play in Windows Media Player.  I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact its MPEG audio stream AC3. This seems strange to me though, because it's an MPG file that is a video but VirtualDubMod only shows it as this "audio stream" in the description under Stream List.

Reply #6
the 2nd file I loaded said "parsing MPEG-2" something or other and I had to wait while it was opened.
VirtualDubMod needs to know the location of each video frame inside the MPEG-2. This is normal.

the mp3 file doesn't play in Windows Media Player.
It's probably an AC-3 audio file. To play it in Windows Media you need AC-3 Source Filter (or this – untested) and an AC-3 Decoder. You probably already have the decoder, since most movies have soundtrack(s) in this format.

There is also a decoder for Foobar2000 available. v0.8 – included in this Special installer, v0.9

This seems strange to me though, because it's an MPG file that is a video but VirtualDubMod only shows it as this "audio stream" in the description under Stream List.
The stream list does not contain video streams. If it's a valid MPEG-2, you should be able to play it back in VirtualDubMod. There are other tools for demultiplexing all elementary streams (video, audio, subpictures) in a MPEG program stream.

Reply #7
So... I discovered a new compression format (7z) AND a new file type (.ax).  Phew! busy day.... Anyways, where do I stick the .ax file to make it do it's dll-like duties?

(sorry to bug you about this, no readme was included and google on .ax is sparse)

Reply #8
Oh, I had forgotten that you're supposed to install this one manually.

Search for a program called RegSvr32.exe, it must already be on your harddisk. Place the *.ax file (only one of them if you have a choice of Unicode and ANSI) somwhere where your programs are together with regsvr32.exe. Then execute this command:

RegSvr32.exe dtsac3source.ax

You can type it in the DOS prompt or create a shortcut to RegSvr32.exe with this parameter. To remove this filter later you call

RegSvr32.exe /u dtsac3source.ax

and delete the file.

Reply #9
It said the action was successful, but WMP still won't play the file. I can open it in VLCMP and it plays, but since I'll be putting it on an ipod...

It's so weird that the audio in the original mpeg plays just fine in WMP, but not when demux'd.

Reply #10
You need to have a source filter which reads the AC3 and passes frames to the decoder. When the audio is muxed in MPEG PS container, its the MPEG demultiplexer that splits the stream and passes frames.

I don't know what possibly went wrong with registering the above filter. You didn't delete it i hope.

play in the shuffle list of my iPod

Since you want to playback the files on an iPod, you will most likely need to convert the AC-3 to a more common format such as MP3 and playback in Windows Media is not your main goal. To convert I would suggest you take Foobar2000 and LAME

Reply #11
OK I'll try converting the file. It still seems very odd that my computer plays the audio portion of the video file correctly in WMP yet not the audio alone. Doesn't demuxing just take the audio directly from the source file? (this is the only explanation for the quick demuxing time)

Reply #12
That is correct. But to play an elementary stream your computer must first identify it, and know its structure. In DirectShow this is being done by a “source filter”.