Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC - database no longer finding cds (Read 1999 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC - database no longer finding cds

for the last several weeks, eac no longer is able to get the song names from the data base

anyone know what the problem is ?

the last time this happened, the old data base went down, and then they got this new one

did it also go down ?

Re: EAC - database no longer finding cds

Reply #2
if i go to metadata options, where it says "freedb server" -  i have http://freedb.dbpoweramp.com:80/~cddb/cddb.cgi

when the program runs, it just says "error - not able to resolve host name" if i put in a cd (it automatically searches for the song titles when a cd is inserted)

when i go to options, you can click on "get active freedb server list".  it also says "error - not able to resolve host name"

where it currently has the dbpoweramp wording up above, are you saying i should place http://gnudb.gnudb.org:80/~cddb/cddb.cgi in that field, instead ?

that options screen also has my email in one of the fields.  do i need to leave that blank ?

thanks

Reply #3
You can put anything for your email if using for 'read only'.
dbpoweramp is no longer hosting freedb

korth

Reply #4
thanks guys,  that worked

Reply #5
this particular cd was actually not in the data base.  but i was able to do a successful submission, which i had never been able to do with the previous data base.  i like to contribute once in awhile, cuz others have done the same thing for me.

i used to submit all the time with the very first one that i used.  that was up for a long time, before it got replaced by poweramp

Reply #6
this data base does not seem to be as complete as freedb.  does anyone know why these data bases keep switching around ?  people from all over the world help to build them up with all their submissions.  it would seem like this data base would just be owned by the public ?

Reply #7
that's a corporate question i suppose for the "database owners"...

Reply #8
it would seem like this data base would just be owned by the public ?
It more or less is.
It all started with CDDB, indeed a database (DB) of CD’s.
It was founded  in  1993 and open source until it was sold to Escient.
Later CDDB was renamed to Gracenotes and in 2001 no longer open source.
Freedb took a snapshot of the latest’s open version and continued to be open source.
Magix acquired freedb in 2006.
They decided to shut down the service per 31 march 2020.
Again somebody took a snapshot.
Today you can use http://gnudb.org/
TheWellTemperedComputer.com

Reply #9
thanks for the history lesson,
i definitely recall cddb.  i suspect i started doing this 20 years ago or more.

Reply #10
it would seem like this data base would just be owned by the public ?
It more or less is.
It all started with CDDB, indeed a database (DB) of CD’s.
It was founded  in  1993 and open source until it was sold to Escient.
Later CDDB was renamed to Gracenotes and in 2001 no longer open source.
Freedb took a snapshot of the latest’s open version and continued to be open source.
Magix acquired freedb in 2006.
They decided to shut down the service per 31 march 2020.
Again somebody took a snapshot.
Today you can use http://gnudb.org/

you can also use Musicbrainz  https://musicbrainz.org/

Reply #11
thanks, is there a way in eac, for me to list an alternate in the program ?  so while i am running eac, it is just a matter of clicking on it ?

Reply #12
EAC has several metadata plugins available during installation. The latest version includes a MusicBrainz plugin.

The CUETools DB Metadata Plugin includes metadata from MusicBrainz, discogs and the original freedb but metadata is duplicated and stored in the CTDB so the plugin only connects to the CTDB for metadata.
The GD3 Metadata Plugin has a 10 use trial then requires a special paid subscription.

korth

Reply #13
thanks, that works nicely.  if i click on built-in-freedb, then it seems to use the search engine that i have typed in.  for now, i will leave it to be the gnu search engine.
i am running version 1.0 beta 4 from december 2014.  it does not list the musicbrainz engine, so i do not have access to it.  but it does list the cuetools data base.  it also has the gd3 plug in, as well as the freedb plug-in (which no longer works).
not sure what the difference is between the built-in freedb and the freedb metadata.  but i guess at this point, it does not make any difference, cuz i cant get to either one.
one nice feature of the cuetools is that it lists the song names of each option by just moving the mouse on it.  on this current cd, there were 3 entries into the data base.  they often have different formats.  the one i like best is to capitalize the first letter of each word, such as Do You Believe In Magic.
i attempt to edit each song to be like this, after the search is done.  so the more songs that are already like this, the less extra work i have.

Reply #14
The freedb plugin had a cover and lyric search. The MusicBrainz plugin is the freedb plugin reworked for MusicBrainz including covers and lyrics.

The freedb plugin seems to retain the server information. Just paste it into the space.

korth

Reply #15
i would update eac, but david bryant from wavpack helped me get eac working.  we had a million and one different options to try, before we got it all nailed down.
i would be a fish out of water, if all that accidentally got erased
i think i updated to the current version at that time.  so it must have been 9 years ago that he made all those changes

Reply #16
i decided to make cuetools my default.  at least of the music i listen to, it seems to be considerably larger than gnu.  but i still left gnu as my freedb data base, so i can look there when cuetools fails.

most of the time i am able to submit changes to the data base.  but sometimes it is not highlighted, so i cant make a submission.  i dont notice anything in particular that causes that to happen ?

Reply #17
The metadata provider needs to be set to Build-In freedb. Other than that I don't recall a reason for the option being greyed out.
korth

Reply #18
i had to return back to gnu as my default.  eac wants to go to sleep after doing a cd, with cuetools as its default.  it probably has something to do with the version i am running.  the only way to get out of it is log off.  it wont let me kill the program, and i cant do anything with it.  so if i dont get a good listing from gnu, i will do a data base search with cuetools.  and after i get my listing, i will revert back to gnu.  it has not yet gone to sleep during an extraction.  but almost half the time i go for the next cd, it has gone to sleep on me.  all in all, it does a great job for me.