Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Help with determing AI loop (Read 705 times) previous topic - next topic

Help with determing AI loop

Hey Guys,

Somebody has used a loop of mine in a song and released. It got guitar parts in it and some pads. It sounds identical to mine and is identical because of the phase happening when putting it under each other. When I asked for the parts
he sent me the guitar loop separate and stating that he was one who played. It's clear that AI tool was used for separating it.
I was wondering if an expert in this could help me with showing me that it is AI generated, but with hard spectrum etc evidence.
It will probably go to court, so I assume the judge won't know anything about music.

Thanks!

Re: Help with determing AI loop

Reply #1
Of course this isn't a legal forum, and I'm not a lawyer.

he sent me the guitar loop separate and stating that he was one who played.
That doesn't matter if you wrote the music.   If you write a song, you automatically own the rights to the words & music as well as the recording, unless you signed-over the rights to a record company, etc.

But a "riff" or "lick" or short sequence of notes is tricky because lots of music the same few notes-in-a-row, or the same few lyrics in a row.   It comes down to the judgement of the judge or jury and these kind of cases can come-out either way.  

It will probably go to court, so I assume the judge won't know anything about music.
Normally both sides will have expert witnesses.

If you win, is the song a hit, or your opponent rich?     Can you afford to lose?

....Different situation but I remember many years ago John Fogerty was sued by his old record company for sounding too much like Creedence Clearwater Revival (his old band).    It seemed stupid to me and he won.