Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: RCA releases mp3PRO update for Lyra 28xx portables (Read 5240 times) previous topic - next topic

RCA releases mp3PRO update for Lyra 28xx portables

http://www.rca.com/content/viewdetail/1,,E...I700433,00.html

"RD2800/2820 Applications Utilities/Drivers Upgrade

This is the latest RD2800/2820 Applications Utilities/Drivers upgrade. It supports Microsoft Windows 98SE, Windows 2000, Windows Me and Windows XP operating system. (Replaces previous version 1056b)

Version 1057 includes these new features and enhancements:

NEW FEATURES:
mp3pro audio support! - Now enjoy the superior sound quality of mp3pro and double* your music storage capacity."
[...]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Furthermore RCA also releases a new Lyra Audio/Video Jukebox with a 20 GB HDD):

http://www.thomson.net/gb/06/c03/030109.htm
ZZee ya, Hans-Jürgen
BLUEZZ BASTARDZZ - "That lil' ol' ZZ Top cover band from Hamburg..."
INDIGO ROCKS - "Down home rockin' blues. Tasty as strudel."

Reply #1
/me cries @ mp3pro  :'(

Reply #2
[sarcasm]

mp3pro audio support! - Now enjoy the superior sound quality of mp3pro and double* your music storage capacity."

HOORRAYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

[/sarcasm]
"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you."

Reply #3
Imo mp3PRO support wouldn't be needed for hard-drive based portables, but it would be very nice for portables with reasonably low storage capacity, since it's imo the best quality codec at 64kbps.

Though I've had the opportunity to hear some AAC+ samples (FhG AAC+SBR implemented by Coding Technologies), and seems that there will be a new low bitrate quality champion soon..
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #5
/me cries @ mp3pro  :'(

I love it... B)
ZZee ya, Hans-Jürgen

Reply #6
Wow. A 20 MB HDD?   And I thought that portable MP3 players were supposed to be moving up in capacity!

Thanks for the correction... 
ZZee ya, Hans-Jürgen

Reply #7
Imo mp3PRO support wouldn't be needed for hard-drive based portables, but it would be very nice for portables with reasonably low storage capacity, since it's imo the best quality codec at 64kbps.

That's right, it is even more usable on portables with Flash Memory or Memory Cards, also CD portables. But I think this is only the start, because it took so long for RCA to come up with this update.

Though I've had the opportunity to hear some AAC+ samples (FhG AAC+SBR implemented by Coding Technologies), and seems that there will be a new low bitrate quality champion soon..

Did Ivan also tell you something more precise about the date? 
ZZee ya, Hans-Jürgen

Reply #8
Did Ivan also tell you something more precise about the date? 

Umm.. Ivan can't disclose much about his work issues, so I have no idea. And I guess if he's working on Nero AAC+ implementation, the tech is so new that even he himself probably couldn't say any exact dates.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #9
Im not waiting for Iavn's AAC+...    Im not even waiting till this summer...  because I know a secret   

But when you said...
RCA releases mp3PRO

I about busted a nut before my early-morning eyes wanted to read the rest of the subject....     

Reply #10
But when you said...
RCA releases mp3PRO

I about busted a nut before my early-morning eyes wanted to read the rest of the subject....     

What do Americans mean when they "bust a nut", I hope nothing filthy? 
ZZee ya, Hans-Jürgen

Reply #12
Perhaps other portables will support it via firmware soon. This seems to be a start.
r3mix zealot.

Reply #13
Considering the insanely expensive hardware licensing costs that Thomson requires for mp3PRO, I wouldn't hold my breath for such firmware updates. Ogg Vorbis is free (and is comparable to mp3PRO at low bit rates) but still has not seen any significant hardware support yet.

Reply #14
It has namebrand behind it. Therefor some people may believe a bigger user demand.
r3mix zealot.

Reply #15
"Now enjoy the superior sound quality of mp3pro and double* your music storage capacity."

Whenever I see an asterisk like that, I expect the footnote to say:

[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']* If you're gullible.[/span]