Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WavPack technical question: (Read 3147 times) previous topic - next topic

WavPack technical question:

I've tried the wonderful wavpack filter in this old CoolEdit 2000.
i can see that the codec adds some noise during all the length of the files,
just trying a tone sweep is givin' me a background (pure noise) @ ~ -84dB...

Is this noise safe or do you think this is able to hear it for classical music ?
I mean adding some low-level noise can bad in some cases...

but if this is hearable, I'm sure you'd rather hear noise than pre-echo/freq-artefacts !
I heard it throught the gravepine ! 

thank you so much!
sincerely,
Nick

Reply #1
Hi Nick,

I'm not sure whether you were looking for an unbiased opinion or something from me, but here goes.

First of all, I would say that -84 dB is pretty far down there and probably not audible under most circumstances. However, with real music the noise will be higher in level because real music is less predictable than sweeps (although real music is also better at masking noise than sweeps are). And yes, I would also rather have more noise than any sort of artifact that alters the music itself (but that's just an opinion).

I believe that what most people have found is that on real music the noise becomes completely inaudible somewhere between 300 and 400 kbps. With classical music you can often get close to 500 kbps using pure lossless mode, and so the advantage of hybrid is not as clear in this case (budgie uses lossless for classical for this reason and it makes sense to me). Where the hybrid mode really makes sense is highly compressed pop music where lossless is around 1000 kbps. On stuff like this, hybrid can give more than twice the compression of lossless with no discernible loss in quality.

BTW, thanks for trying out the Cool Edit filter!

Reply #2
bryant
thank you very much for your reply !!   

I believe that what most people have found is that on real music the noise becomes completely inaudible somewhere between 300 and 400 kbps.

that's why I use now WP and not MPC or WMA9Pro (concerning WMA, thanks for all: I'm using an easier way to secure my files: password protected archives, no more DRM).

BTW, thanks for trying out the Cool Edit filter!
No ! thanks to you !