Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

Have you tried a beta version of Vista?

I've tried Vista Beta RC1 or newer.
[ 53 ] (29.3%)
I've tried an older beta of Vista or Longhorn.
[ 10 ] (5.5%)
I havn't tried a beta of Vista yet, but I want to.
[ 32 ] (17.7%)
I don't care about Windows Vista.
[ 86 ] (47.5%)

Total Members Voted: 214

Topic: Windows Vista Poll and Discussion (Read 66300 times) previous topic - next topic

Windows Vista Poll and Discussion

Reply #50
Have to agree with Woodinville here. There are some programs that ALONE take over 100mb RAM to run. Thats simply not an issue. Besides, I guess people read posts partially:

RAM USAGE IN VISTA SCALES ACCORDING TO YOUR PHYSICAL RAM AMOUNT.

Yeah. Whatever.

Reply #51
(1st items in all 3 tables)

With my hatred to XP, I have no other choice :-)

Reply #52
Whatever happened to progs / OSes that didn't binge off the RAM and just worked...
Thank Heavens For Open Source ™
It's due for a good DEGAUSSIN'

Reply #53
Whatever happened to progs / OSes that didn't binge off the RAM and just worked...
Thank Heavens For Open Source ?

Well, I suppose I should just let you have the last word, but I have to ask here what "binge off the RAM" means. I routinely run huge (1GB sized) MATLAB calculations that take overnight. Is this what you mean by "bloated"? Or did you miss "RAM usage scales ..."?

If we're in a world where disc is as fast as RAM, I'm not yet aware of it.
-----
J. D. (jj) Johnston

Reply #54
After running the bloated, monstrous horrors that are KDE, GNOME and X, I don't have a problem with running 100% Windows boxes. I challenge anybody to objectively prove that Linux is faster or requires less memory than Windows in comparable environments. I can certainly point to some OS architectural improvements that Linux has over Windows, but they've only affected my work, maybe, two or three times in my life.

Vista's graphical "improvements" are things that every other OS vendor (including Linux distributions and OSX) are already rolling into their products. Pot, meet kettle.

Not like I'm going to be upgrading in the next year or two, since I don't really have a use for the new features right now, and of course the driver support is very spotty. But I'll have no qualms with it for my next computer.

Reply #55
It also has symbolic links like in unix\linux, Also useful in certain situations.

NTFS version 3.1 (XP and Server 2003) already offer symbolic links, they just arnt called that. So theres no change there. Its currently just completely command line driven, so they finally switched to a GUI.

I really dont care about how fancy it looks. Ill disable it all, switch to classic view and install backbox, job done.

Main advantages is its core changes (by that I mean user mode drivers and such) and DX10. DX10 will not be available for older operating systems.
Hopefully it will be secure too *tries to forget about IE7*

Reply #56
Well, I'm using the leaked Vista RTM build and I must say that it greatly surpassed my expections. It uses a bit more RAM than XP did, but it looks so nice and it feels much more responsive than XP did.

I will eat my humble pie and say that Microsoft did this one right. I've switched and I see no reason to look back.

Reply #57
I will be downloading the leaked build as well.  Even the release candidates were still betas.

Reply #58
Vista looks polished with the compositing stuff. Smooth effects etc. But when you enable all the compositing goodness it needs a megafast pc. In general (without compositing) it isn't so very fast either...

I will stick with linux for now. Gives me everything I need, and then some.. including compositing eye candy that doesn't hog my computer so much.

Reply #59
Define megafast. My 2400+, 1GB DDR333 ram and 6600GT AGP seem to wheeze through even with the shitty nVidia drivers we have now.

Reply #60
On wikipedia as I read on Vista in the security section, all I see is check, verify and monitor. Isnt all that checking going to stress out the computer? I mean theres already a hell of a lota resources going to Avalon

Reply #61
I'm not interested in Vista one bit, and hope to never use it. My MS Windows days are nearing their end.

Reply #62
I'm having some probs with the RTM build 6000.  It's refusing to install on the partition that I had RC1 on. (The 3rd partition) I'm wondering if MS wants to mandate that it have the first partition.

I'm not interested in Vista one bit, and hope to never use it. My MS Windows days are nearing their end.

I'll probably be following you on that.  I don't plan on ever using Vista as my main OS, and I'll probably use Fedora Core Linux when XP pro outstays it's welcome.

Reply #63
I find it odd that people feel they have to state that in every thread about vista in a vista related forum. Oh well, Each to his own.

Reply #64
I havn't used vista yet.

I don't plan on it. Unless there is something new in it that accually matters to me I have no reason to use it. Server 2003 will last me until I feel like using Ubuntu again.

Sure, the Aero UI looks amazing, but in my opinion it isnt worth it. I don't really trust microsoft with all the new DRM stuff they are gunning for. Windows is already secure enough for me, and if it ever becomes a problem then linux is a good candidate.

The only way I might use it is if there is some big amazement of everyone on how well it works on decent computers, and that it doesn't need really fast ones. If it is critically aclaimed and such...
And if you believe theres not a chance to die...

Reply #65
1. I've used Windows Vista RC1.
2. I didn't like it.
3. Don't plan to upgrade until I can't help it.

I tried Vista RC1 on an intel Core 2 Duo with 1.5 or 2GB of RAM. I found RC1 to be a little slow. My impression of the New Start Menu and general Windows layout is, that it's superfluous. Windows always seems like a little more congestion than I like. I'm an IRIX and Mac OS X man. I think I'll stick with XP Pro on my PC for as long as I can. I'm sure by next year though we'll have a new Vista machine at work.
"And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming." --Edgar Allan Poe, The Raven

Reply #66
1. I've used Windows Vista RC1.
2. I didn't like it.
3. Don't plan to upgrade until I can't help it.

I tried Vista RC1 on an intel Core 2 Duo with 1.5 or 2GB of RAM. I found RC1 to be a little slow. My impression of the New Start Menu and general Windows layout is, that it's superfluous. Windows always seems like a little more congestion than I like. I'm an IRIX and Mac OS X man. I think I'll stick with XP Pro on my PC for as long as I can. I'm sure by next year though we'll have a new Vista machine at work.

RC1 is outdated atm. A LOT has changed since then, if you want to try vista, you should try the RTM version.

I like it and im gonna upgrade as soon as i can.  (Running a dual boot with XP SP2 atm)

The "eyecandy" uses your GPU and VRAM, so slowdowns are out of the question. If you don't have a supported gpu then it's off by default. Not many drivers available atm but that will change soon.

About the RAM, yes it uses more then XP but it also feels better and more smooth then XP and it's more stable then XP. Besides, you have the ram, you paid for it, why not use it?

My system: P4 3,0GHz HT, 1GB DDR RAM and 6600GT AGP

Nvidia has not released an RTM driver yet, only driver available is for RC2, so im using vista drivers atm.

Reply #67
Erm yeah, apparently most games run slower in Vista compared to XP. I cant remember where I saw it, but there were benchmarks somewhere. Ill try n find them.

I brought my RAM for games, If most of it is being taken up by the operating system then Im gona need more to satasify the games. And what about VRAM, when running a game does Vista page out the VRAM or let its UI just sit there?

Reply #68
I'm no "hardcore" gamer site benchmark, But i tend to see that performance fairly comparable.

That said, For the love of god, satan, and everything else, Wait for proper video drivers before judging game peformance.

Reply #69
Can Vista mount disc images itself or do you still need a third party app ?

Reply #70
I think you still need stuff like Daemon Tools.
I can't say ive heard of any OS with that functionality (as usually most image types are proprietary, like NRG).

Reply #71
I can't say ive heard of any OS with that functionality (as usually most image types are proprietary, like NRG).
OS X can mount ISO, IMG and DMG images. I run XP with Boot Camp but I have MacDrive installed so I can see everything on the OS X partition as well. Daemon Tools and Alcohol 120% are incompatible with MacDrive which is a right PITA. The only thing that might have persuaded me to go with Vista would have been image mounting capability but it looks like I'll be sticking with XP. I only have that installed for the kids' games and EAC anyway 

Reply #72
subst can make a folder look like a drive, thats as far as windows goes.

Nvidias offical Vista drivers were released a few days ago...
Thats after 10 betas

Reply #73

I've never heard of another OS that doesn't have built-in functions to mount ISO, for example?

Reply #74
Well, Seems i was wrong. Though it's not something i expect an OS to perform, I guess support for standard image formats is a nice addon. Pesk MS enough, might get added in SP1?

I find it really funny that people decide which OS to use on the toll of such minuscule features. Each to his own i guess. I like looking at thing on a bigger level.