Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Tagging (Read 5549 times) previous topic - next topic

Tagging

Im going to rip with EAC, and use CDDB for info.
But EAC isn't supporting the oggcommet system, (they say it will in the next release).
What other easy way is there to commet hole albums with the same comment?

Tagging

Reply #1
Perl (or other programming language) scripts

A kind person on the Vorbis mailing list once sent me a small Perl-script that works perfect for me (after a bit of personal tweaking  )

Also made we want to change to Linux

I rip from EAC to wav in a folder and then let the script do the encoding, tagging, and deleting of source-files in that folder. Works like a charm.

Tagging

Reply #2
A Perl scrips sounds interresting.
Can you come up whit a link or something?
I guess the whole code is a bit large to paste into this forum.

Tagging

Reply #3
If the writer of this nifty little script want to claim ownership, please do! Basically I only added the unlink line

opendir DIR, '.' or die "Cannot open directory because $!n";

@initdir = readdir DIR;
closedir DIR;

foreach $me (@initdir) {
  push @dir, $me if ($me =~ /.wav$/)
}

foreach $_ (@dir) {
  $wavfile = $_;
  s/.wav$//;
  $filename = $_;
  s/^(.+) - (.+) - (d+) - //;
  $art = $1;
  $alb = $2;
  $num = $3;
  system '"C:Program FilesOgg Vorbis Encoderoggenc.exe"',
        ' -b ', '128',
        ' -N ', $num,
        ' -t ', '"'.$_.'"',
        ' -l ', '"'.$alb.'"',
        ' -a ', '"'.$art.'"',
        ' -d ', '2001',
        ' -o ', '"'.$filename.'.ogg"',
        ' "'.$wavfile.'"';
  unlink $wavfile;
}

closedir DIR;

(I edit the bitrate and/or the year accordingly)

Unfortunately I've been too lazy to find out how (I'm a programming newbie without the programming bug) to get the data-output from oggenc (coding time, coding speed, bitrate) appended/sent to a text file. If I could do that it would be perfect for me

Tagging

Reply #4
The general way is with backquotes.

Code: [Select]
#!/usr/local/bin/perl -w

$foo = `mycommand`;

print $foo;

You'd use this instead of "system", to run your oggenc command and capture the output in a perl variable.  Then you can do whatever you like with the information.

If, however, all you want to do is append to a text file, then you can use the ">>" redirection operator (in a Unix shell).  "echo hello world >>file" will append to the end of "file".  I don't know whether the NT CMD.EXE has that operator, and I think that the DOS COMMAND.COM doesn't.

Tagging

Reply #5
Originally posted by greycat
If, however, all you want to do is append to a text file, then you can use the ">>" redirection operator (in a Unix shell).  "echo hello world >>file" will append to the end of "file".  I don't know whether the NT CMD.EXE has that operator, and I think that the DOS COMMAND.COM doesn't.

Both NT's CMD.EXE and DOS's COMMAND.COM support the redirection operators, I used to use them a lot in batch scripts 

Using >> to append will work fine.

Tagging

Reply #6
Originally posted by greycat
The general way is with backquotes.

Code: [Select]
#!/usr/local/bin/perl -w

$foo = `mycommand`;

print $foo;

You'd use this instead of "system", to run your oggenc command and capture the output in a perl variable.  Then you can do whatever you like with the information.

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, me being the Perl-idiot, I couldn't get it to work.
I tried something like (for adding to a textfile)

open(loggie, ">> Encoding.log");
and
$status = ` '"C:Program FilesOgg Vorbis Encoderoggenc.exe"',
' -b ', '128',
' -N ', $num,
' -t ', '"'.$_.'"',
' -l ', '"'.$alb.'"',
' -a ', '"'.$art.'"',
' -d ', '2001',
' -o ', '"'.$filename.'.ogg"',
' "'.$wavfile.'"' `;

print ($status);
close(loggie);

Didn't work at all. Can somebody be as kind as to enlighten me as to what I'm doing wrong? Basically i just want the final output from each encoding to be appended in a textfile named "Encoding.log"

Tagging

Reply #7
print ($status);

ITYM print loggie, $status;

Didn't work at all. Can somebody be as kind as to enlighten me as to what I'm doing wrong?

Possibly nothing. The trouble is, oggenc doesn't use stdout, it uses stderr.

Somebody should probably patch oggenc and let the vorbis-dev people know about it.